Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Google Sitemap v2.7

The issue is that the sitemaps on this forum are no longer acceptable for Google Video. About 2 years ago, Google changed the requirements for video sitemaps and no one has bothered to update the code to match the new requirements.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

I'm not sure that's it - I had a google- video sitemap up for over a year before the new vshare version, and the same situation existed.

And even so, you'd think that the page itself even without the video should show up in the index, due to title and descriptive text. Not to mention that Vshare is very SEO friendly.

Unfortunately, no, that is not true. Google only indexes further into the page based upon PageRank. If the pagerank of the site is low, then Google will only index a few pages. The purpose of a video site map is only to provide sites like Google with your site's meta data. It doesn't mean that Google will choose to index each page. The original intent of how Google implemented video sitemaps was for the Google Video service. Since Google has gotten rid of that service they did around 2006-2007 (it was replaced with YouTube), the only real point to it now is for meta data.
    vShare Solutions

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Not sure I agree. Google has no way of knowing from the non-video sitemap that this is a video site. Without a video sitemap, all it's got to go by is the text on the pages. Page ranking doesn't affect indexing, only what's displayed in a search. I have sites with a zero page ranking that have most of their pages indexed.

Actually, that's not true. Google very much knows that the site is a video site without a sitemap. It is able to do that based on object codes. What happens is that when Google scans the sites, it is able to detect the video codes and the links to the FLVs (for those people who do not hide it). It then knows that the site is a video site. The video sitemap helps provide Google with the meta data for each page and each video.

Pagerank very much affects indexing. It doesn't effect the process of indexing, itself. What it does is it affects what gets and stays indexed. Since a portion of the pagerank formula is relevance, a site that contains content deemed not as relevant by Google may find itself removed from the index. This is very much true for sites in which its only content is video (which is why video sites are hard to SEO). While your site may provide meta data, the real content isn't text, it's video. So, Google has to determine how popular a video is based upon direct links into that video. If it finds that people are directly going to a page, it may or may not keep the site indexed. It isn't until the page's rank increases in that it has a better shot of being included in the index. This is also why sites with zero ranking have more of their site index than pages with ranks between 1-5. It's because Google has done it's analysis and retains what is relevant to what people are looking at with regards to your site. With sites with zero ranking, it doesn't know this yet.

No one said anything about non-video sitemaps so I do not know what you are talking about there.
    vShare Solutions

non-video sitemap = standard sitemap. The one on my site, copied from here, is not a video sitemap.

You must either have two heads or a huge brain, to retain all the information you share :)

Appreciate your time and input, always.

Actually, I just found one of my videos listed in a Google search.... so apparently Google does index these sitemaps.

Quote Originally Posted by carefree2 View Post
    I made it as a stand alone script. But both ways are fine
    Yeah, the inlude works but I think the DB stuff needs to be this:

$sql = "Select video_id, video_title, video_description, video_add_date, video_flv_name, video_length from videos where video_approve=1 and video_active=1";

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456