Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 strikes and your out

Default 3 strikes and your out

It would be nice to have the ability to give someone 3 strikes within 6 months before their channel is suspended. Suspended would mean that user can never log back in unless they contact an administrator and the accused discuss why he/she deserves to be allowed back. That would depend on whatever the owner of the vShare site has in his/her TOS (Terms of Service) Administrators should have the ability to issue one, two or three strikes at once depending on how bad the action was. They should also have the ability to remove strikes. Their should also be a e-mail template saying User has been suspended and it would show the 3 strikes in 6 months. If a user had 3 strikes and a day after the first strike the user has a third strike one strike should be removed being that it had been 6 months ago bringing the count to 2 strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorAnswers View Post
    It would be nice to have the ability to give someone 3 strikes within 6 months before their channel is suspended.

Suspended would mean that user can never log back in unless they contact an administrator and the accused discuss why he/she deserves to be allowed back.

That would depend on whatever the owner of the vShare site has in his/her TOS (Terms of Service) Administrators should have the ability to issue one, two or three strikes at once depending on how bad the action was.

They should also have the ability to remove strikes.

Their should also be a e-mail template saying User has been suspended and it would show the 3 strikes in 6 months.

If a user had 3 strikes and a day after the first strike the user has a third strike one strike should be removed being that it had been 6 months ago bringing the count to 2 strikes.
    Nice idea.

but also add the option to choose ban time or strike lengh ie

user uploads illigal video (you can ban for life)
    User uploads legal content but not allowed by the site (you can ban for 3 months)
    User does something mild (a few day ban or just a 30 day warning/infraction/strike exc)

This would probably require a complete user ranking system wich once coded could be very simply expanded to your needs.

I can not see Vshare adding this but maybe some one knows how it is done and makes a addon and earns a little cash at the same time :)

Well, anyone can get anything they want as long as they are willing to spend the money. I use v-Share because it is cheep and I cannot afford to spend 10's of thousands of dollars. I just decided to advertise with YouTube and I will see if that brings users in. If I can make money, spending it on improvements will not be a problem.

www.youruploadsite.com

We could build a mod to do all of that. The one problem though is it is almost impossible to completely ban someone using vShare. The reason is because there is no way to truly identify a user. With vShare today, the only things that could be used to "identify" a person would be:
    1. Email Address
    2. IP Address

Email address doesn't work because email addresses can be created and destroyed at the push of a button. You ban an address, they can simply create a new one. It is even possible to create "disposable" addresses that only last for a short period of time (usually, just long enough for someone to register their account).

IP Addresses also do not work because about 95% of the average home internet accounts on the internet have dynamic IP addresses (meaning that they change after a set period of time). Many DSL and Cable providers often tie the DHCP lease to the MAC address behind the modem (as opposed to the modem itself) which would mean that if the user is using any modern day router (which most households are), they could simply login to their router, change the MAC address of what it presents to the modem, then power-cycle the modem, causing it to grab a new IP address when it comes back online. Thus, banning an IP address would only temporarily prevent a person from viewing your site. They could still regain access if they changed their IP address.

The only true way for a system like this to be effective would be for you to obtain "PI", or "personal identifiable" information. That information could then be tied to something that is harder to change, like a financial instrument (such as a bank account or credit card number). However, vShare doesn't have anywhere close to the security requirements to obtain or hold such information legally so that is out of the question.

All in all, this is something that is possible to do. Practically, however, it wouldn't be very effective.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Quote Originally Posted by bplex View Post
    Email address doesn't work because email addresses can be created and destroyed at the push of a button. You ban an address, they can simply create a new one. It is even possible to create "disposable" addresses that only last for a short period of time (usually, just long enough for someone to register their account).

IP Addresses also do not work because about 95% of the average home internet accounts on the internet have dynamic IP addresses (meaning that they change after a set period of time). Many DSL and Cable providers often tie the DHCP lease to the MAC address behind the modem (as opposed to the modem itself) which would mean that if the user is using any modern day router (which most households are), they could simply login to their router, change the MAC address of what it presents to the modem, then power-cycle the modem, causing it to grab a new IP address when it comes back online. Thus, banning an IP address would only temporarily prevent a person from viewing your site. They could still regain access if they changed their IP address.

The only true way for a system like this to be effective would be for you to obtain "PI", or "personal identifiable" information. That information could then be tied to something that is harder to change, like a financial instrument (such as a bank account or credit card number). However, vShare doesn't have anywhere close to the security requirements to obtain or hold such information legally so that is out of the question.
    This would explain why YouTube does not ban people after their YouTube channel has been suspended. It is almost impossible to track people. I still think they should try. They block the e-mail address but people make a new one so that has no affect. I have done that myself although I did not understand the process. I had seen other's in the past do it. A bunch of trolls false flagged my YouTube channel theanswersofnwo3 and complaining to YouTube has no affect. I have a better chance of getting a stranger to give me $1,000. I sent YouTube a e-mail 2 months ago. They never responded. HORRIBLE customer service.

I think banning IP addresses would be better as it is not as easy to change as an e-mail address. But it can still be done if people Google how to change their IP.

My idea anyway, was to suspend accounts with 3 strikes in 6 months. 6 months after each strike the strike is erased. This would prevent me from having a bad day or one of my moderators and take it out on a user. Can they make new accounts? I don't think there would be a way to track them but if they had subscribers it would set them back. If my moderators keep suspending all of the accounts the troll would give up over time.

www.youruploadsite.com

If this could be done inexpensively I would assume that many people would want this.

Not really. No one outside of you really have expressed interest in wanting a mod like this. Even further, there is the issue of "inexpensive" as this varies greatly between people. One of the issues of making inexpensive mods is that vShare is so cheap. Because the script is $10, people do not want to may very much for anything related to vShare. Most people do not realize that the script's developers are in India, where $10 is a lot more money than it is to someone in other countries. In the US, $10 can't even get you a decent cup of coffee nowadays, let alone software.

Personally, I could easily create this mod as a general mod and sell it, but unless there is a real market for it (outside of one or two people), then it wouldn't be worth the build (with the exception of building it as a custom mod for a client).
    vShare Solutions

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Not a problem. If it too difficult that is fine. I don't want you to waste your time building it just for me. I don't mind spending the money for it but it is probably only wanted for the big guys like YouTube, Dailymotion and the others.

Difficulty isn't a problem. It's fairly easy to do. The issue comes with building it in anticipation for something that not many people have shown any interest in. For me, I have to evaluate whether or not building a mod would be worth the time and effort in doing. Every minute I spend building something has a cost value associated with it. When I build mass-produced mods, the sale of such a mod is what makes up for the time. If I spend 2-3 hours building a mod and no one buys it, then that is 2-3 hours of wasted time. This is the sole reason why I do not build a lot of mass-produced mods. Rather, about 99% of what I do is custom mods. They are built as needed or requested so that I am not wasting time on things that people are not interested in.
    vShare Solutions

What does any of this have to do with my suggestion? A while ago I wanted the policy of removing repeat offenders from my site. It is a privilege to be on my site not a right. I however; do not blindly believe trolls and will look into the allegations that people are making. YouTube won't. If you want to debate if the 3 strikes law in California is unjustified then make a video on my site. I love to see what people have to think about laws. But this forum is not the place to do that. http://www.youruploadsite.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast