Thread: Search Engines posting to vshare!

Default Search Engines posting to vshare!

I've been getting a bunch of "inappropriate requests" on all the videos on my site lately that I *know* are ok, so I thought some joker was just messing with this...

...until today when I was looking at my "recent visitors" in my host cPanel and noticed someone was posting "inappropriate request"s....turns out this is a GOOGLE and YAHOO crawlers doing it! They're also posting "feature this" requests!

They also try to "comment" on videos (which it wouldn't let them do cos you have to be a member to comment).

I'll be writing to them to see how to make it so that it doesn't do this. I know about robots.txt, but I want them to visit the pages that videos are on, I just don't want them to post requests and try to comment...

... HOW they're doing that, I don't know, but if someone already knows, and has a way of getting around this, please share! :)

Unless there's a way of setting it so that only members can rate & flag videos in the same way one must be a member inorder to comment?
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

There ya go.. It should be that only members can do flag or feature requests.. I would back that change.

I love that google indexes my site.. and ALOT but I hate the requests.

See the Feature Request section of the forum and all your wishes will come true.

Regards,
    Mat.
    ------------------------------------
    Make an arse of yourself:
    http://www.youtwatonline.com
    ------------------------------------

Yeah, noticed the "Feature Requests" after my initial post (I had *just* discovered it). I thought maybe there was a way to set it for members only but missed it in the admin panel somewhere, but it turns out there isn't any.

I posted in the Feature Requests too just in case. So, for now, I set robots.txt to not go to the view directory and I have not had one single "inappropriate" request since.

http://forums.buyscripts.in/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

That will fix it for you ;). Not a good idea to restrict the search engine in my opinion as it is cutting out a useful source of visitors.

yup I know... :/ I didn't want to use the robots.txt
    I know about robots.txt, but I want them to visit the pages that videos are on
    but the requests were driving me insane.

It was the best thing I could think of at the time. I know zero about php. Once I put up robots.txt and restricted the /view/ directory, I did not have one single "feature/inappropriate" request.

However, thanks to URVids who posted the "fix", I'll be able to take off the "robobts.txt". YAY.....THANKS URVIDS!!!!