Thread: accounts not blocked after max videos watched

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default accounts not blocked after max videos watched

I upgraded to 2.8.1. The control of watching videos in an account went from a limit of megabytes to a limit of the number of videos watched. Fine as that makes more sense. But I notice now that my users have watched more videos than their account allows and they are still allowed to log in and view videos. Am I seeing this correctly or what is going on?

I also created a new account under the one month/with limited number of viewing allowed. Then logged in and watched a couple of videos. Then I went to myPHPAdmin and modified the view number to 99. Logged in again and watched a few videos until the profile showed 103 views. By now I should have been blocked from viewing. Logged out and logged back in again and still could view videos. Somehow the new method is not picking up the video limit for the registration packages.
    Last edited by jayscot; 02-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)

I believe you have misunderstood the new limits. In older versions of vShare (particularly vShare 2.6 and below), the limit was based on the amount of videos that a person could watch (in megabytes). You could limit a person to, say, 1GB of watched video and once the limit was reached, they could no longer watch videos. Since vShare 2.7, this has changed completely (vShare 2.8.1 works just like vShare 2.7). In the new method, there is no limit to the number of videos that a person can watch. Rather, the limit is based on how many videos a person can upload. So, you define the maximum number of videos a person can upload along with how much total space they get. If either limit is hit, they can no longer upload video. However, they are still allowed to watch as many videos as they want. Without having a custom mod built, there is no way to limit the maximum number of videos that a person can watch with vShare 2.7+. The only limit that can be controlled is the "guest limit". The "guest limit" defines how many videos a person can watch (in seconds) before they must login or signup. After logging in or signing up, however, they can watch how much they want.
    Last edited by bplex; 02-06-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Well that makes sense (in that I do see that happening) but it does suck. Why then would we change from keeping track of megabytes to now keeping track of videos watched if we were not going to use the number of videos watched for some purpose? Either I am going to have to backtrack all the way to v2.6 or fix the new versions to kick people out after they have had their amount of video. It stinks that I find out all this only 1 day after I delete all the old code off the server, thinking I am not needing it any more.
    Thanks for identifying in exactly which version the changes took place. Wasn't that back in the days when the php files were all compressed with zend? I can't even look at the programming to fix up what I have now.

As far as I can tell, it should all be able to be coded between lines 402-431 in functions.php. More specifically line 414 with a message change on 416. This would break the upload limit checking but for me that is not an issue as I do all the uploads.

However the subscriber record does not get an updated view number but the users record does. So instead of comparing the packages record and the subscriber record I will need to compare the packages and users records to determine if the viewer has reached the limit.

Any suggestions? I guess I am off to play around with the code for a few hours.

It took a few nights but I got the software to pay attention to videos viewed for account limiting. Now it notifies the user when he reaches the limit of the package. Within hours of getting it working I had a user get notified and he immediately purchased the additional package that the software offered him. It's only a hack since there are other features that don't work or even got broken in the process. But it works. Maybe we could get that put back in officially?

Hi,

Open a support ticket with your vShare admin and FTP login details.

Thanks,

Buyscripts Team.