Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandwith usage

I have a dual 3.0ghz xeon with 4 x 15000 rpm scsi disks in raid10 and 4gb 667mhz ram, dedicated.

Servers are not that expensive to lease im just worried that the traffic peak will be pretty hugh. I only have a 8mbit dedicated connection. Its serving 100.000 unique users pr month and using 30% of the capasity. Im kinda worried that i need like a dedicated 50mbit fiberoptic connection to our serverhall to keep the videosite up to date.

With that traffic you will be good with the dedicated server maybe up the pipeline speed to a 100mb.

Quote Originally Posted by zeffer
    With that traffic you will be good with the dedicated server maybe up the pipeline speed to a 100mb.
    Yes probebly a good idea! Do could you check the transfer rate on your networkcard and report how many online users it was at that time?

That would help me out a great deal.

Example:

9,56MB/S load with 500 online users.

Quote Originally Posted by zeffer
    But if you want a tip from someone who has a successful site that grows rapidly continually update servers as you can afford, we upgraded from shared after we had 50 members then when we hit 500 we got a dedicated then at 1000 we put another gig of ram in and updated to a 100mb pipeline, As of now at 10,000 members we are in the process of gettn the top of the line server (dedicated) with 4gb of ram 2500gb bandwidth a month and 100mb pipeline, this is only so we can have 2 dedicated servers running in a cluster till we get the dns shift sorted then we will run 2x of the top dedicated servers in a cluster on 2 100mb pipelines with 5000gb monthly quota.

By 20,000 members we want 3x dedicated servers running 100mb pipelines in a cluster.
    Jeesh !!! You'll break the internet you know :lol:
    Look, it's not steep till you need to stop ok !

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    http://www.highsecurityhosting.com 250 gigs for $3.99/month is overselling.
    Ask them how much bandwidth they will give you if you buy a dedicated server from them paying more than $150 per month. Answer will be 2000 GB or some thing like that. This is because that is the price. They sell 250 gigs for $3.99/month only because they know no one is going to use that much. If you do, they will be hosting you at a lose.
    So who cares if they are hosting me at a loss?

Yes, they are smart in offering all that bandwidth for $4 a month, because they DO know that 99% of people won't use a fraction of it.

That's WHY it's such a good option for high-bandwidth video sites. You get the low rates that result from them over-selling their bandwidth.

And my experience has been with them, never one second of down time.

Quote Originally Posted by mersh
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    http://www.highsecurityhosting.com 250 gigs for $3.99/month is overselling.
    Ask them how much bandwidth they will give you if you buy a dedicated server from them paying more than $150 per month. Answer will be 2000 GB or some thing like that. This is because that is the price. They sell 250 gigs for $3.99/month only because they know no one is going to use that much. If you do, they will be hosting you at a lose.
    So who cares if they are hosting me at a loss?

Yes, they are smart in offering all that bandwidth for $4 a month, because they DO know that 99% of people won't use a fraction of it.

That's WHY it's such a good option for high-bandwidth video sites. You get the low rates that result from them over-selling their bandwidth.

And my experience has been with them, never one second of down time.
    They'll more than likely pull the plug on a site that appears to be running high bandwidth content. You may get one month using 250gb but more than likely they'll find a reason to boot you off their service after using that much. ;)

when they pull plug on you get to me and I'll give you my host
    25TB data transfer monthly for just 54$ a month.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mersh
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel2006
    My hosting is 5 GB storage and 50 GB transfer per month
    Sounds like shared hosting... did you have any trouble setting up the script?

http://highsecurityhosting.com has $3.99/month shared hosting plans that give you 5 gigs of drive space and 250 gigs of bandwidth, but I wonder if there's any way to set up ffmepeg, mencoder, etc...
    This place is a knockoff of godaddy....using much of their same site layouts and same packages. I bet they are resellers and buy from godaddy.
    http://coldblooded.tv
    Show off your reptiles!

The site go to - http://www.securepaynet.net

This is godaddy owned domain name. So they must be reselling. Godaddy do not allow mencoder, ffmpeg on shared hosting. With godaddy, only way is to get a VPS or dedicated.

Does anyone know what bandwith peaks you get? And how many users?

In an avreage how much speed does 10 users consume?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast