Thread: Smf forums cracker out there

Default Smf forums cracker out there

Hi, just wanted to let you know there is a cracker attacking a security hole in SMF forums.

I got an email saying I had a new member when the forum I have is not open to public view. I was like....hmm......

So, I went to ProjectHoneypot.org to check notes on the IP, sure enough, in the past 2 days there has been reports with information identical to what I had and that it's been reported in the SMF support forums.

If you get a member krisbarteo, delete it immediately and ban the IP. The IP reported at projecthoneypot.org is 94.142.129.147 but may not be the actual IP this cretin is using. I blocked it anyway.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by grynmoors View Post
    Hi, just wanted to let you know there is a cracker attacking a security hole in SMF forums.

I got an email saying I had a new member when the forum I have is not open to public view. I was like....hmm......

So, I went to ProjectHoneypot.org to check notes on the IP, sure enough, in the past 2 days there has been reports with information identical to what I had and that it's been reported in the SMF support forums.

If you get a member krisbarteo, delete it immediately and ban the IP. The IP reported at projecthoneypot.org is 94.142.129.147 but may not be the actual IP this cretin is using. I blocked it anyway.
    This is the ip that hacked my site and took my server down it took me 3 days to get every thing back up and lost some of my Gilligans island videos

He cracked your vShare? He get in thru SMF?

The way he cracked SMF was by uploading an avatar.

(I don't like to use the term "hack" since hacking is actually a good thing and what we do here for vShare..it's "Crackers" that do the bad stuff).
    Last edited by grynmoors; 05-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!