Thread: Import folder view alphabetically not random

Default Import folder view alphabetically not random

The admin can import videos from the Import Folder menu item. This is OK if you have a small number. I work with 100 or more at a time and I want to select specific videos.

Is there a way to display video names alphabetically instead of random in this listing (/admin/import_folder.tpl) Sometimes it can take a while to find a video even when you know it is in the list.

vshare 2.7
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)

Default import folder

I have found a way around it. Easy - for me anyway. Since I am using Firefox for my working online, I use the Find command and type in the name of the performer. If it's not the one I like, then I go to the next found occurrence, etc.
    So on my Mac it is CMD-f, then CMD-g, CMD-g, etc

To answer your original question, unfortunately, there isn't a way to change it in the script to being listed alphabetically because the order has nothing to do with vShare, but with how your server processes the "dir" read command. On some servers, the "dir" read command will return the results of a directory randomly. On some servers, the results are returned alphabetically. It really depends on the server. vShare uses the system dir call to list the files in that directory. Thus, however the results are being returned are a direct result of how your server handles that call.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Default Alphabetical listing

Makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation. These kind of details are great for understanding a bit more about how the unseen cloud of computers are looking after our data out there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bplex View Post
    To answer your original question, unfortunately, there isn't a way to change it in the script to being listed alphabetically because the order has nothing to do with vShare, but with how your server processes the "dir" read command. On some servers, the "dir" read command will return the results of a directory randomly. On some servers, the results are returned alphabetically. It really depends on the server. vShare uses the system dir call to list the files in that directory. Thus, however the results are being returned are a direct result of how your server handles that call.