Thread: One Button Rename all Flv files

Default One Button Rename all Flv files

Hi,

Hope there will be a one button option to rename all the videos (flv/mp4 files) this will help everyone to minimize hotlinked to the video location

Quote Originally Posted by markevanvic View Post
    Hi,

Hope there will be a one button option to rename all the videos (flv/mp4 files) this will help everyone to minimize hotlinked to the video location
    Can you explain in more detail what you are talking about please?

As of now, the admin area has the ability to rename uploaded videos, but it is one by one, if there is an option of renaming all the videos in one click, that will be a good help, firstly, if someone got your video hotlinked with other site then in one click all your videos where rename and the hotlinked videos where broken on sites where your videos where hotlinked, (they will need to look for the source code again to get the right video name to hotlinked again, but surely you will just rename it again for the hotlinked to be broken again, in other words, the hotlinker will do much work just to hotlinked again your videos, hope you get what's i am trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by markevanvic View Post
    As of now, the admin area has the ability to rename uploaded videos, but it is one by one, if there is an option of renaming all the videos in one click, that will be a good help, firstly, if someone got your video hotlinked with other site then in one click all your videos where rename and the hotlinked videos where broken on sites where your videos where hotlinked, (they will need to look for the source code again to get the right video name to hotlinked again, but surely you will just rename it again for the hotlinked to be broken again, in other words, the hotlinker will do much work just to hotlinked again your videos, hope you get what's i am trying to say
    Yes, I agree. I tried raising this issue a year or so ago. The reply was that you wouldn't want it as it would cause undue server activity. Of course we want it. Just like the rebuilding of the search database it would take processing power but it could also do 100 records and then wait a minute/hour and do another hundred. You could even let the admin decide how many get processed in each batch. Another method might be to do a random 100 files in a cron procedure. So every hour a cron runs to rename a random batch of files. That would randomly discourage file leechers. I likely would set mine to do a small run every night.
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)

The better approach here would be to use secure links. This way, a person could not hot link the video directly. I have two mods (the Secure Streaming Mod for vShare and the Lighttpd Mod for vShare [legacy product]) that do just this. With the secure streaming mod, the actual paths to the videos cannot be linked because the link is unique to each visitor and is locked to the visitor itself. So, if that user found the link and then posted it somewhere, it would never work for anyone else. Further, the link is time limited to the requesting user so it expires after a set time anyway. With this approach, there would really never need to be a function to change all of the file names as a person could not hot link them to begin with.

To use this, you would need a VPS or your own dedicated server.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!