Thread: Notification of New Message

Default Notification of New Message

It doesn't seem like there is any notification being sent whenever there is new activity on a user account. It would be nice if an email was delivered any time someone commented on one of your videos or left you an "email" message on the system.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Default Re: Notification of New Message

YES, this is a vital (even if it seems trivial) component of making your vshare site "viral". People tend to have short attention spans and could easily forget that they need to check on their videos from time to time. By having the system notify them that ..."Someone has just posted a comment on your video {videoname} - go check it out at {link-to-video}" - this will really add that vital stickyness factor to your site. Maybe the email could actually include the comment made by the commenter eg.:
    "Hi Bob,
    another {sitename} user, {username-who-commented} has just commented as follows on your video titled {videoname}: "{comment-posted-at-video}" - You can check it out at {link-to-video}.
    Remember that having people comment on your video is a great way to get more exposure, why not go and post a comment on one of {username-who-commented}'s videos at {user-video-list-url} and get a bit of reciprocal commenting going. This way, you can help each other get more exposure for your videos ;-) (Hint).

Happy watching
    The {sitename} Team"

This is a "Gotta-have" feature rather than a "nice to have" if you're looking for long-term repeat visitors to your site.

This will be available on next release.

Awesome. Thanks admin.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Thanks Admin, that's GREAT!! :D

yes great feature to have but make sure the user can enable or disable it in there profile or something as i dont want annoyed users emailing me to stop them getting spammed by comment notifactions.

maybe an option in there profile to globally enable or disable emails from comments and also an option when uploading a video and edting it to "email me when someone comments on my video" Yes or No.....that way they could only get emails from comments on some videos rather than all or none if that is what they wanted.

also what about an email if someone sends them a private message?...again with option to turn off or on.

These emails need to be editiable inthe email templates section...i notice the new "email users when there vids are added to the site" option is not editable.

Thanks! I'm behind you 100% there leki - I got a little carried away with the viral marketing potential of this thing without thinking about the possible irritation to the user. You're right, not everyone will want to be notified (especially not if 1000 people all comment on the same day - Dang, even I would want to be able to switch the comments off at that point :shock: ).

Good call :wink:

When is this going to be implemented. I see a template for pm_notify in admin, but doesn't seem to be used. Thanks!

PM notify is already available in vshare 2.5

I dont know how to set it up with notification of new message email to let user know that they get comment from email... how????