Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Download Video Mod

Default Better Download Video Mod

This mod allows all users or just registered users to download videos, unregistered users will be directed to the login/signup page if they try to download and then redirected back to the video once logged in. Choice of download type, the FLV file, orginal video file or both.

on view_video.tpl find
    Code:
    {if $allow_download == 1}
      [img]{$baseurl}/templates/images/download.png[/img] Download
    {/if}

Now choose one of the options below:

If you want only registered users to be able to download the FLV file replace with
    Code:
    {if $smarty.session.UID ne ""}
     [img]{$baseurl}/templates/images/download.png[/img]Download
    {else}
    {/if}
    {/if}
    If you want only registered users to be able to download the orginal video file replace with
    Code:
    {if $smarty.session.UID ne ""}
    {else}
    {/if}
    {/if}

If you want anyone to be able to download the FLV file replace with
    Code:
    {/if}
    If you want anyone to be able to download the original video file then you dont need to make any changes.

If you want both the FLV and orginal video available to download then just put both the FLV and orginal video code on the same page.

Now i just need to figure out if its possible to make a "only paid subscribers are able to download" option.

oh great :D thanks leki, i was asking for these options :)

Just curious -- if you allow the user to download the flv file, it will NOT obtain our logo watermark, correct? -- Whats the point of letting them download the vid instead of making them come back to view
    SPEED UP YOUR VSHARE SITE!
    Speed up your vshare site by "offloading" your images and video thumbs!
    Just visit http://offload.limbar.com for details.

Quote Originally Posted by browniegirl
    Just curious -- if you allow the user to download the flv file, it will NOT obtain our logo watermark, correct? -- Whats the point of letting them download the vid instead of making them come back to view
    That is what I wonder about this feature too. I would much rather have someone embed the video so that it retains a watermark that is clickable back to my site.

Perhaps others have a practical reason for wanting this though.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

well people can download the FLV file if you have downloads enabled or disabled. but yes it wont have the watermark as that is just a image overlayed on the top which can also be removed from the emeded code by a user if he wants.

i dont allow embeded on my site but allow FLV download (they already streamed the file using the bandwidth so may as well have the file saved to there HD if they wish.) i also hope to have paid members able to download the orginal video to be an incentive to subscribe.

i dont have the watermark feature enabled on my site as there is no point having a big watermark on linking to my site when they are already on my site!

however i do hardcode a text watermark into the videos, this cant be removed and is on all downloded FLV video files.

so basically i just have "mysite.com" pop up at the bottom of the vid for a few seconds....just text and not clickable but at least if the video gets spread round then users who view it can find my site.

if anyone is interested in having a hardcoded watermark like i explained above tell me and i'll post a mod on how to do it.

Well, having the watermark link to your site is good if your videos are getting embedded elsewhere. But since you do not allow embedding, that wouldn't make much sense for you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by leki
    well people can download the FLV file if you have downloads enabled or disabled. but yes it wont have the watermark as that is just a image overlayed on the top which can also be removed from the emeded code by a user if he wants.

i dont allow embeded on my site but allow FLV download (they already streamed the file using the bandwidth so may as well have the file saved to there HD if they wish.) i also hope to have paid members able to download the orginal video to be an incentive to subscribe.

i dont have the watermark feature enabled on my site as there is no point having a big watermark on linking to my site when they are already on my site!

however i do hardcode a text watermark into the videos, this cant be removed and is on all downloded FLV video files.

so basically i just have "mysite.com" pop up at the bottom of the vid for a few seconds....just text and not clickable but at least if the video gets spread round then users who view it can find my site.

if anyone is interested in having a hardcoded watermark like i explained above tell me and i'll post a mod on how to do it.
    PLEASE -- do explain how you "hardcore" the url or website name
    SPEED UP YOUR VSHARE SITE!
    Speed up your vshare site by "offloading" your images and video thumbs!
    Just visit http://offload.limbar.com for details.

I think what leki is talking about is using a video editing program of some kind to type the text of the url directly onto the video so that it can't be removed.

well its all done by vshare using mencoder....so its not any extra work for you.

I'll see if i can get time to write up a guide tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast