Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Server Help

Default Re: Multi-Server Help

I use HostICan and can ONLY get the video to play from the public_html folder :( - And I cant get anyone to answer me on what happens if you put two or three servers in the list and enable them all.
    SPEED UP YOUR VSHARE SITE!
    Speed up your vshare site by "offloading" your images and video thumbs!
    Just visit http://offload.limbar.com for details.

How do you have your server settings in vShare admin set up?
    I have used the following settings successfully. I had to try a few things before I got this working. I hope this provides you some clues.

Server URL - http://www.myexternalserver.com/myflvfolder
    Folder Name - /myflvfolder

Server IP, username and password are self explanatory.
    I have not used my actual url in the example above, just the format so you can see what works for me. I had to use a / in front of the folder name to get it to work.

As for the addition of more than one external server, I am curious about that too.
    Professional strongwoman and musician

My was set up as:

SERVER URL > http://www.mysite.com
    Folder > public_html

I tried addin the " /NameOfFolder " to the end of the SERVER URL and the "folder" slot, and it still would not play video.
    SPEED UP YOUR VSHARE SITE!
    Speed up your vshare site by "offloading" your images and video thumbs!
    Just visit http://offload.limbar.com for details.

That is kind of a messed up way to do it. For one thing, my public folder has designated folders for a couple of dozen web sites that I am running on the server I want to use as video storage. For me to junk up the root with flv files is just messy housekeeping. For another thing, I'm not sure that I want to give a script like vshare root access. Seems like a major security risk. I wish admin would come in and tell us how we can use the multi server feature on sub folders.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Does using multi server function create problems later on if your looking to move hosting or upgrade to a dedicated server?

It seems that there are a lot of unsolved mysteries about the multi server. That is the only reason I was considering upgrading to version 2.6, but there seems to be a lot of unknown factors and no admin addressing them here.

Hi,
    I have multi server working on my http://www.pinoymonster.com (adult Content). Did had small problem at the begining but oovercome with help of hostican. I amy able to help you guys. just email directly to [email protected].
    Be specific on the issue. If i can i will do my best.
    Regards,
    MD Hoque
    Pinoymonster.com

I agree, it would be helpful if admin could stop by this thread to add some form of feedback. I'm sure he's very busy, but there are a lot of people with serious unanswered questions here. Just off the top of my head:

1. What happens when you have several servers? For example, what if I add 3 servers, plus my original server where the site is hosted. What happens? Does the script just select one at random each time or what?

2. How can we use a sub-directory? I'm personally not comfortable with giving this script root access, not to mention cluttering up my root with hundreds of flv files. Why can't I just make a sub-folder and create a special ftp account for the script to access that folder? I dont understand why this wont work and want to know what I can change to make it work.

3. What if I want to move existing files to a specific server; how can I do this?

I'm also curious about things like what if I want to change hosts, is this a problem, or how this effects search engine crawling, etc, but the questions above are more important.

The documentation on the multi-server aspects is very weak. These issues aren't addressed. You have several people posting these questions over and over, but they never get an answer. Can someone please come in here and give us some form of an answer? What will it take?

1. What happens when you have several servers? For example, what if I add 3 servers, plus my original server where the site is hosted. What happens? Does the script just select one at random each time or what?
    Ans: I have tested my webpage with one FTP server so i dont know exactly what will happened but while i was trying to add multiple servers i noticed newly uploaded files going to last added server..

2. How can we use a sub-directory? I'm personally not comfortable with giving this script root access, not to mention cluttering up my root with hundreds of flv files. Why can't I just make a sub-folder and create a special ftp account for the script to access that folder? I dont understand why this wont work and want to know what I can change to make it work.ANS: Please check this picture. This has sample setup how to add a certain folder in ftp folderhttp://pinoymonster.com/multiserver.gif

3. What if I want to move existing files to a specific server; how can I do this?
    Ans: Go to mysql command line using phpmyadmin.
    Execute this command:
    UPDATE video set server_id=NEW_ID WHERE server_id=OLD_ID

Note: NEW_ID "its ur original/old server id. I found out its "0"zero by default"
    OLD_ID "its your New Server ID. Which you can find in top most part of my picture which is 1(one)"
    Example UPDATE video set 0=NEW_ID WHERE server_id=1

It did work for me. But make sure you have put correct server ID & transfered your FLV from old server to new FTP location.
    Its always better to keep backup of your database before you do so.

I'm also curious about things like what if I want to change hosts, is this a problem, or how this effects search engine crawling, etc, but the questions above are more important.
    Ans: Could you be specific what type of problem did you meant?

Thanks hoque. Your answers are exactly what I needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast