Thread: add counter

Default add counter

Hi,
    I want to add a public counter on my site, where can i add the html of the counter??
    Danielle :D

Default Re: add counter

FYI: Counters is a no-no according to webpagesthatsuck.com...it's like if you go to WalMart and you're the 1,123,456 customer, it's like...who cares. I'm not saying don't put a counter if you want one, it's your site...put one if you want. :D it's just not considered professional from a design standpoint. With personal sites anything goes...what I'm talking about is in relation to professional sites with professional touches (not "personal website" stuff).
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by grynmoors
    FYI: Counters is a no-no according to webpagesthatsuck.com...it's like if you go to WalMart and you're the 1,123,456 customer, it's like...who cares. I'm not saying don't put a counter if you want one, it's your site...put one if you want. :D it's just not considered professional from a design standpoint. With personal sites anything goes...what I'm talking about is in relation to professional sites with professional touches (not "personal website" stuff).
    Never put a counter..... never ever....

The only person who needs to know how busy your website isn't is YOU - and you just need to look at the stats yourself.

Dafydd
    PS gynmoors has give some really sound advice here - follow it.

Thanks Dafydd (nice medieval name there, you in the SCA?)

I learned a LOT from webpagesthatsuck.com and I can't recommend them enough. I've been a fan of theirs since at least the mid to late 90's (I forget when I first discovered them and bought their books).

One major rule of thumb is: If it's not necessary, why is it there? Counters fall under this category. Seriously, people DONT CARE how many visitors have been to your site, like Dafydd says, it's only important to YOU and this site is NOT for YOU, but for other people.

Which reminds me of the second major rule of thumb: Your business site is NOT for YOU, it's for people who want to solve their problems. Make it easy for them! Don't put obsticles in their way and clutter it up with a bunch of junk.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by grynmoors
    Thanks Dafydd (nice medieval name there, you in the SCA?)

I learned a LOT from webpagesthatsuck.com and I can't recommend them enough. I've been a fan of theirs since at least the mid to late 90's (I forget when I first discovered them and bought their books).

One major rule of thumb is: If it's not necessary, why is it there? Counters fall under this category. Seriously, people DONT CARE how many visitors have been to your site, like Dafydd says, it's only important to YOU and this site is NOT for YOU, but for other people.

Which reminds me of the second major rule of thumb: Your business site is NOT for YOU, it's for people who want to solve their problems. Make it easy for them! Don't put obsticles in their way and clutter it up with a bunch of junk.
    SCA? Run that by me again.... lightbulb apears to be flickering a lot tonight! :D

My name is an "actual" and is mentioned in the Mabinogion .... you wanna try a bit of pronouciation then? :D

I enjoyed the additional bit you've added here... all sound advice for newbies and oldies riding within their own storm of excitement setting up a video streaming website!!

Dafydd
    8)