Thread: How Can I Reintall The Script And Still Keep The Current Sit

Default How Can I Reintall The Script And Still Keep The Current Sit

Hello:

My Vshare site got corrupted but the database is completely intact and working fine. If I wanted to do a reinstall but keep the old database info, is this possible?

Default Re: How Can I Reintall The Script And Still Keep The Current Sit

Yeah, just reupload all the same files in BINARY, it won't hurt anything and then double check the file permissions to make sure everything is okie dokie.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Are there any important files that I should not overwrite? For example, where is the database information stored? It would be bad if I overwrote this.

First suggestion: even though things are weird, make a complete back-up of your site as it currently is....for just in case.

Second:You may not want to over write config files or the cgi-bin (espcially if you have the progress bar enabled). Even if you do, you can refer to your back-ups for the settings. ;)

Config files are located in the includes directory config.php and includes/settings has the video convert files there.

I had someone the other day contact me because suddenly the embed code that appears on the view video page wasn't working. I uploaded fresh copies in binary of the root .php files and all the js files (since I wasn't sure where the problem was coming from) and his site worked fine after that.

But always always always make regular back-ups of your sites! Especially when everything is working fine and running smoothly so that in the event something blows up for some reason, you can just do a re-upload.

Quote Originally Posted by scwebmaster
    Are there any important files that I should not overwrite? For example, where is the database information stored? It would be bad if I overwrote this.
    Your database stuff is stored in MYSQL which can usually be gotten to via PhpMyAdmin in your control panel.
    If you can find it, you should definitely back it up.
    Under no circumstances should you re-run the installation script, as that will more than likely overwrite your database.
    The other thing you can do is rename your original database via PhpMyAdmin and start a new one from scratch if you have to.
    Then you just dump the new database and rename the original one back to what it used to be.
    (But that's complicated and most likely unnecessary)
    http://www.asiancumtube.com Send Traffic, Make $$$
    Check the webmasters link at the bottom of the site

Good point...I'm talking about over writing the files, not doing a complete re-install. Thanks for bringing that important clarification to my attention.