Thread: competition for vshare

Default competition for vshare

Hi,

I have just found this http://www.vidiscript.com/, it is free looks good and is not encoded. What are vshares plans to compete with this script?

Default Re: competition for vshare

i just see it

its really a competition for vshare

Missing payment module and video grabber capability to start..

And this: 3) You are free to modify and use Vidiscript. However, you may not distribute any part of your modifications that contain VidiScript code without prior written consent.

So every time you make a skin or a mod for it, you have to get their permission before sharing it with someone.

It's 30.00 to remove the "Powered By" where vShare is slightly cheaper ($25 if you consider 10.00 for the script and 15.00 for the license). They want about 50.00 for the pre & post rolls mod etc...(that's where they get you, with the mods), which abound here at vShare for free or cheaper and we can do what we want with them, sell them or give them away etc. I downloaded it to see what it takes to make skins for it because it's my experience that with other freebie video scripts that are out there, the templates really blow.

vShare RULES
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Just what I thought...from a quick glance, it appears that the templates is a .swf file and not template (.tpl or even .html) driven like vShare.

Quote Originally Posted by grynmoors
    Just what I thought...from a quick glance, it appears that the templates is a .swf file and not template (.tpl or even .html) driven like vShare.
    That bites.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Quote Originally Posted by grynmoors
    Flash .swf can be decoded (so can Zend for that matter) ... But does pose a strain when editing

Oh I know it. I have .swf decoders for turning them into .fla and the Macromedia Flash thingie for making and editing flash, but it's a pain in the butt, I'd rather not deal with it, ya know what I mean? HTML/PHP is hella easier.

Competition - NOT!
    I have spent three days working with vidiscript and I consider it wasted time. There were some features that attracted my attention but in the end it is as advertised - beta.
    GOOD- It says it can do pre and post ads as well as ads popping up on your vids. That is a good idea. If your site works with vshare it will work with vidiscript.Fast account verification process. A few more admin config settings which give you nicer control. Quick for a user to make a group and add other users or friends. Incorporates live chat between members that are logged in. Can upload pictures, videos, audio or flash games - nice feature.

BAD- Security- not great at all. Try uploading a file and then finding all the flv files in a folder at /root/uploads/. Where is the search? I cannot find it. Tags are there but they don't work unless ALL the tag words match all the tag words for another video. If I have 500 videos then they will be listed on the main page in a list 500 long except for page breaks. Selecting categories will break that up a bit. The default category for uploading is at the bottom of the category list. You need to put a Z in front so stupid people will not be uploading to the Wonky group all the time. There is an upload indicator but no feedback on how long or how much longer. Could not figure out how to do graphic ads- only text. No mention that this was an extra cost!? Thumbnails did not get created unless an flv file was uploaded- not from mov or avi. Thumbnails are square and are created from your video which means it is squished. Could not figure out how to add my photo to my profile. Uploading was confused by the two extra thumbnail choices which did nothing anyway. Uploaded foreign file formats are deleted as soon as they are converted to flv - maybe I had a setting turned on.

Anyway I could go on, but after a few days of playing I realised that it was not in the same league as vshare. Don't get me wrong, there are things wrong with vshare that I desperately want fixed. But since I was setting up my 5th video sharing site I was willing to look around. At present I am buying another copy of vshare because of what it does do, not because of what other software does.

I don't know much of what goes on in the background as far as programming. It's nice to fiddle around and change placements and colors and I wish I knew more. I looked at all the files that came with it and the first impression was that there was less to fiddle with. Could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Dave
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)