Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delete original upload/converted files

Default Delete original upload/converted files

I noticed that when you delete a video from your site, that the script only deletes the reference to it, and not the original upload, or the converted .flv file. It's not much of a problem yet, but could become one say if you had deleted a video that is 50meg. The original, and .flv might well take up 100meg of server space.

Just a thought.
    Look, it's not steep till you need to stop ok !

Yeah i noticed that too, i also would like it to remove the video from the server.

Well spotted.

Hope this gets rectified. Space is valuable when you only have 5 GB hosting lol

Default FTP function

A page with PHP FTP function could handle this task, but with seperate folders needing files deleted you'd most likely have to run two instances.

The end result would save tons of server space over time.

Another issue that can develop from old file build up is the security with FTP programs and the limits placed on the number of files you can view.

It would also be good to make it so that the uploaded files were stored into seperate folders for each user. This would make everything more simplified for file management.

Other than a few bugs here and there the script seems to run very smoothly and clean compared to others I have looked at.

I checked my files thru FTP and noticed that the original uploaded files are deleted, but not the .flv files. I manually deleted the "deleted" .flv files.

What I am wondering is once the files are uploaded and converted to .flv, is the original upload file still needed for anything or can they be deleted thru FTP also?
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

That was my next thought Grynmoors. How about the script deleting the original after successfully converting it. It would save something like 40% of server storage surely ?

Default Delete after conversion

I second that Philthy.

Even if it was an admin add on. I know we can all FTP delete, but it would make larger sites much easier to tidy up.
    Perhaps even something as simple as purge the video folder at a set time?

I kind of like having the ability to download the original (usually higher quality) file if someone uploads something interesting.

Otherwise, I don't mind going in and deleting via ftp from time to time.

What I do wish, was that the FLV files were named by the title of the video, rather than numbered consecutively. Much more useful when doing file cleanup.

Same here mersch i like also like the ability to download the original. I am thinking of making a package for 5 dollars where the user gets to download 500mb of original files.(when the packages are working of course)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast