Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it POSSIBLE ??? Translations in specific lines ???

Default Re: Is it POSSIBLE ??? Translations in specific lines ???

@bplex

he is going to need an open-source script. He can spend as much time as he would like on vShare. It's just not going to do him much good.
    Okay, I have a lack in php knowledge, I'll grant that. But considering the fact that I'm working 60 hours per week with html, javascript, perl/cgi, serious graphic arts, translations, etc. there isn't a lot of time or patience left in my brain to start learning more on php. I have a family, child, 2 large dogs, and they're already unhappy about my work load. Having said that, and believing that I'm not entirely stupid, I still have to disagree somewhat with the php guru bplex though, because ....

.... I've been working with code for the past 14 to 15 years and one of the biggest clues that I look for when working with translations, is the specific manner with which text is embedded into the code and command lines. For example, code is at least 99.99% of the time written in small letters (not including html tags which could go either way). So, when I see a line of code with something like 'Pending' or "Year" then it's the capital letter P or Y which indicate to me that this is merely a REFERENCE that is being used by the file that I'm looking at, and by very specific files that have command lines of sorts which are in turn referring to those specific words. Hence (and like I said, I've been doing this for years, writing translations that actually work) if I knew the names of all of the files with such exact references, then a modified global search and replace command can actually change those to whatever you want ... and still work ... as long as you're not using special characters (and even that can actually be done with yet more patience and time). The problems that I'm having with the translations aren't actually nearly as complicated as bplex infers. It's just a matter of knowing WHICH files and WHERE they're at, period. Zend encoding or not, doesn't make a difference if you have the right software!

EXAMPLE (hypothetical): The SQL DB, 12 Template files, 6 more hidden files within includes, and 47 additional files thoughout the video portal utilize the word 'Pending' in order to jive all across the board. Well, if I knew the specific names and locations of all 65 files (not counting the SQL), then I could change 'Pending' to 'Geewillickers' and guess what? Yes, it would all work just as well as it did before ...

But ... no problem. I'm giving up looking on the forum for translation assistance. I'll write to the support directly and hopefully will get something out of that. This Sunday I'll look at the sql db which I've already extracted in order to see if I can find something in there. Eventually all will be well, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to tediously "snipe" at dozens or even hundreds of files over the course of months, while knowing that the developers could provide assistance in a matter of minutes, if they cared or wanted to.

Hey, have a great upcoming weekend and please keep an eye out for my other posts, the ones that have nothing to do with translations. It's been a pleasure and I really do appreciate every useful bit of information.
    EinfachClicken - Family friendly, Fast, Fun, Informative
    Videoportal: http://www.meineclipshow.einfachclicken.de/
    Freebie Flashgames: http://www.megaspass.einfachclicken.de/
    GERMAN HOMEPAGE - http://www.einfachclicken.de/ TONS of FREE STUFF in over 40.000 files.

Default Re: Is it POSSIBLE ??? Translations in specific lines ???

I'm not trying to say that you are stupid, nor am I trying to say that you do not know what you are doing. What I am trying to tell you is that what you are wanting to do is not going to be possible with vShare in its current design. Maybe you need an example to understand what I am trying to tell you.

You want to translate the word pending. So, you use your software to search all of the files for the word "Pending" to "Geewillickers." With an open source script, this would work just fine. You would be able to search all of the references for the word and if you change every single reference, everything would work fine and use the word "Geewillickers." So, if there are 6 SQL files, 12 DB files, and 50 PHP files and you change the code in all 68 of them, you good to go.

However, here is your problem with vShare. You want to change the reference of the word "Pending" to "Geewillickers." So, you use your software to search all of the files to replace what you want. vShare is composed of over 100 different files (between templates, images, and php scripts). 60% of vShare's files are encrypted and cannot be edited. Thus, when you change the reference of the word "Pending" using your software, you are only changing it in the 40% of the files that are not encrypted. Thus, you are only going to end up with a script in which 60% of the files are using one term and 40% are using another. And, if one of the encrypted files is doing the writing and the encrypted file is doing the reading, if you change the code in the one that is not encrypted, you will break the functionality.

Here is another real example for you. You talked about the word "Confirmed" earlier. You stated above that if you knew WHERE the word was, your "professional" software could change it, encoded or not. Well, what if I told you that you can find the word "Confirmed" in the file friend_accept.php in the main folder of your script. Now, open up that file. What do you notice? You have about 3-4 lines of readable text talking about Zend Guard. Then, you have a bunch of lines that look like garbage. Do you know that the "garbage" that you see in that file is actually the code for that file? Did you also know that the code for that file has a SQL statement in it that is writing the word "Confirmed" in plain English? But, here is the problem, there is nothing you can do to change it! Why? Because the code is encrypted. This is the point I'm trying to get across to you. This is why I stated that you should learn a little bit about PHP. I'm not asking you become a programmer. I'm not even asking you to learn anything more than just how PHP statements should look. If you knew at least this, then you would also know that PHP is NOT a binary language. It is a "pre-processor" language (similar to HTML, Perl, JavaScript, etc). This means that PHP code is written using normal language and is executed as normal language and not as compiled binary files (an example of a post-processor language would be C#. After writing a file in C#, the only way to get it to run is to compile the code which turns it into a binary file that is no longer editable. You can then distribute the file [as a .exe] to people for them to use). So, if you are seeing PHP code which is binary (such as vShare), then that means that the code itself has been compiled (or encrypted) using another piece of software (in our case, Zend Guard). Because of this, if there is anything that needs to be changed within the compiled code, unfortunately, it cannot be done from a user point of view. And this is where we are with you. You are needing to change all English language printable (and writable) text. Unfortunately, part of the text that you need to change exists in code that is encrypted and not changeable. [b]This is why you are having such a difficult time finding what you are needing![b] It's not that your software isn't good or that you are incompetent. It's all due to the fact that you are struggling to find language to change in a piece of software that is mostly encrypted and not editable.

Check your PM, I'm going to send you something.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123