Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad link for Groups htaccess troubles?

Default Re: bad link for Groups htaccess troubles?

Yes, I suggest you contact the tech support where your site is hosted as no one else experiences this problem. It's either an installation issue or a host issue and I think it would be a safe bet to say that it's a hosting issue.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Thx,
    but the hosting, is an housing of a dedicated server managed and owned by my friend.
    So i think that should not be an hosting problems!
    No ones have had the same truble in "installation history" of the product????

thx in advance for the answers!
    BYE!

Quote Originally Posted by embryo
    Thx,
    but the hosting, is an housing of a dedicated server managed and owned by my friend.
    So i think that should not be an hosting problems!
    No ones have had the same truble in "installation history" of the product????

thx in advance for the answers!
    BYE!
    From this reply, I hate to assume anything so have to ask: Did you actually verify whether or not it's a hosting issue? Even friends can make mistakes and there could be a problem somewhere on the server because no one else is having this problem but you. If it's not a hosting issue, then try re-installing the script and make sure you upload all files and that you do so in binary because the only thing I can think of after you verify that it's not the host, that it must be an installation that's gone bad or a file become corrupt somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by embryo
    Quote Originally Posted by ramius
    for the first istallation all the appz was uncompressed directly into to my server, after your post i tryed to re-upload groups.php in binary mode.. but no solution yet...
    You need to upload ALL the files in binary mode. (the templates - .tpl files - are an exception but doesn't matter if they go binary or not).... If you uploaded the zip file and decompressed it, the permissions could be wrong. You should unzip all the vshare files on your hard drive then upload them. Make sure you set the permissions properly according to the install instructions.

Nice catch mersh...I didn't notice the part where he decompressed it directly to his server rather than unzip on his harddrive and then upload it in BINARY. Like you say, the permissions is oh, so important! So, it's probably an installation gone awry both with not uploading in BINARY and then also setting permissions. Double whammy. It's a wonder the site works at all...

I think some installations will set the ownership of unzipped files to the person doing the unzipping, which would work fine if you're logged in as the user of the site rather than server root. But sometimes I've noticed strange ownerships on files that I've unzipped on the server, like they're owned by "user983" or some other non-descript thing like that - the username came from the machine where the files were zipped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12