Thread: Vshare Seo Problems

Default Vshare Seo Problems

Main SEO problems that vshare have from: http://www.seositecheckup.com/

HTML Compression Status
    Should compress your HTML to reduce your page size and page loading times - this will help your site retain visitors and increase page views. Commonly used methods for compressing html include GZIP and ob_gzhandler http://us2.php.net/ob_gzhandler. If you were using compression, you could be compressing your HTML size by 77% to further reduce page loading time. If you were using compression, you could be compressing your HTML size to 4.48

x-cache Header
    It does not appear that you are caching your pages. Cached pages serve up static html and avoid potentially time consuming queries to your database. It also helps lower server load by up to 80%. Caching most visibly benefits high traffic pages that access a database, but whose content does not change on every page view. Common caching methods include Alternative PHP Cache, Quickcache, and jpcache. Caching mechanisms also typically compress HTML, further reducing page size and load time.

Images Expires Tags
    Your site is not using expires headers for your images. An expires tag can help speed up the serving of your webpages for users that regularly visit your site and see the same images. Learn more about how to add expires headers to your images. http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/009272.html

Default Re: Vshare Seo Problems

While nice, there are several problems with this:

1. You can't use HTML compression methods with vShare as it compresses everything (including your media). The media won't work if it is compressed. You can use mod deflate (since it can be configured to certain file types), but the compression rate is not as good and it will still trigger this with sites such as SEO Site Checkup. Likewise, the current version of vShare (2.6) is in binary format and cannot be compressed any further. So, the only real compression that you could do is optimization on your templates.

2. There are two different types of caching: browser-side caching and server-side caching. vShare uses server-side caching which aids in keeping server load down (everytime you access a PHP file, the server has to compile it before sending it to you. By caching on the server, you can cut down on resource utilization since PHP does not have to recompile the cached versions everytime they are accessed.). The way vShare caches (in 2.6) is actually kind of pointless because the source is encoded with Zend. Since the files are already binary (which can't be compressed), there is no point to caching them, which is why vShare caches the templates. However, this does you no good because by caching the templates into a PHP file, they must be compiled which adds a bit of load. This is one of the things that I plan to tweak with the next version coming out tomorrow. Browser-side caching, on the other hand, would not be beneficial for a tube site because the content is constantly changing. The point of browser-side caching (which is what X-cache is by the way) is to not have to load static pages. Since vShare is dynamic, this would not work.

3. Image expiration tags would not be good either for vShare. Since the pages change dynamically (for example, if you have recent videos on your main page or recently viewed videos, the page changes with each visit), using code like this would cause people to massively download and store images to their computers on each visit. The performance of your site, as a result of this, would suffer as the current version of vShare does not compress the images that are generated (something else that I am planning to tweak with tomorrows version).

All in all, the SEO issues that you listed here are common for any tube site. For example, run the check on YouTube.com and you'll get the same results. Unfortunately, our type of sites are going to run into those issues.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Quote Originally Posted by bplex
    The way vShare caches (in 2.6) is actually kind of pointless because the source is encoded with Zend. Since the files are already binary (which can't be compressed), there is no point to caching them, which is why vShare caches the templates. However, this does you no good because by caching the templates into a PHP file, they must be compiled which adds a bit of load. This is one of the things that I plan to tweak with the next version coming out tomorrow.

vShare does not compress the images that are generated (something else that I am planning to tweak with tomorrows version)
    Those tools will be grate if you make them as a plugin. :D . Also there are a lot of webmaster that use vshare and have server load problem. They can buy those plugins and you can get something for the time that you spend to achieve that. :wink:

Yes, the caching mods will be plugins that I would probably sell so as to make them available to anyone who would like that capability.
    vShare Solutions

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

Yes, the caching mods will be plugins that I would probably sell so as to make them available to anyone who would like that capability.
    When will be out your caching mod and how much money will cost, around? will be available for both 2.6 and the next 2.7 ?

Thank you.

3. Image expiration tags would not be good either for vShare. Since the pages change dynamically (for example, if you have recent videos on your main page or recently viewed videos, the page changes with each visit), using code like this would cause people to massively download and store images to their computers on each visit. The performance of your site, as a result of this, would suffer as the current version of vShare does not compress the images that are generated (something else that I am planning to tweak with tomorrows version).
    Are you sure? i understand like this:

Image expiration cache tell to the browser of user who load a site "hey, this image "image1.jpg" you just loaded, is valid and will not be updated for 1 month since now, so please, cache it for a month and after a month, reload again because is possible will change".

I understand correctly?

If is like this, i think is a good thing, because is true in a vshare site, often is added new movie/thumbs, but a thumb remain like this, "forever" for example the thumb of a movie i uploaded in vshare 2 months ago, is still the same name/image.

So, is till a good thing activate this option in apache... NO?

Quote Originally Posted by cmedia
    When will be out your caching mod and how much money will cost, around? will be available for both 2.6 and the next 2.7 ?

Thank you.
    I don't know when it will be available as 2.7 isn't out yet. It will only be available for 2.7.
    vShare Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cmedia
    Are you sure? i understand like this:

Image expiration cache tell to the browser of user who load a site "hey, this image "image1.jpg" you just loaded, is valid and will not be updated for 1 month since now, so please, cache it for a month and after a month, reload again because is possible will change".

I understand correctly?

If is like this, i think is a good thing, because is true in a vshare site, often is added new movie/thumbs, but a thumb remain like this, "forever" for example the thumb of a movie i uploaded in vshare 2 months ago, is still the same name/image.

So, is till a good thing activate this option in apache... NO?
    That's true to a point. The problem with tube sites is that you typically have a lot of image turn over (meaning images are constantly moving from one page to another page). Every time the page changes, the browser must revalidate that the image is the same image. Depending on the image size, this can take a bit of time. Because of the constant image shuffle, turning on x-cache will not save you anything in terms of load (it may save you a bit of bandwidth). The reason key here for tube sites is to optimize the images altogether. This way, the overall page size decreases and can remain in the browser cache as a whole longer.
    vShare Solutions

That's true to a point. The problem with tube sites is that you typically have a lot of image turn over (meaning images are constantly moving from one page to another page). Every time the page changes, the browser must revalidate that the image is the same image. Depending on the image size, this can take a bit of time. Because of the constant image shuffle, turning on x-cache will not save you anything in terms of load (it may save you a bit of bandwidth). The reason key here for tube sites is to optimize the images altogether. This way, the overall page size decreases and can remain in the browser cache as a whole longer.
    So, the image is not cached based on his url + Image expiration tag? is cached based from which page is loaded???

And / or each time the page/html change the browser re-validate the image without care about the Image expiration tag?

To me seems a little "stupid"... :oops:

I mean, if the image day 1 is loaded from index.php and day 2 from otherpage.php is still the same image...
    Why to check again if is the same url/name and the Image expiration tag is set to 1 month???

Like this the "Image expiration tag" will be useful only in very very few cases :(

Or i understood bad (my English is not the best) :oops: :P

anyway, my vshare site don't allow user to register, and myself are the only user who upload the movie, 2-3 time at week... sometimes less (1 time at week or more) sometimes more often (1 time at day / 2 days)...

So, my vshare don't change as much change a vshare with a lot of user uploading new movies each some hours.

In my case can be still useful also for server load, use this "Image expiration tag" function? i guess yes, also because i have 8 page views/user so many user load many times same pages in 10-20 minuts of permanence in my site.

Or i mistake?