Thread: video convertion overloading the server

Default video convertion overloading the server

Hello,

I am having issues when people start to upload to my site. If there are like 3 or 4 videos being converted at the same time the server gets really slows until it cant handle the traffic anymore.

Is there a way to set up the script to convert one video at a time or put the convertion process in the lowest priority and the visitors get served normally?

Here are the processes causing me issues

/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i /home/xxx/public_html/video/011bi_3.wmv -ss 00:01:43 -t 00:00:01 -s 120x90 -r 1 -f mjpeg /home/xxx/public_html/thumb/4ca4238a0b//3_4421.jpg
    Top Process %CPU 93.3 /usr/local/bin/mencoder /home/xxx/public_html/video/btaw_isis_love_p07_2.wmv -o /home/xxx/public_html/flvideo/4ca4238a0b/12585335681208116729.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br56 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodecflv:vbitrate500:mbd2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last _pred3 -srate 22050 -ofps 24 -vf harddup
    Top Process %CPU 92.3 /usr/local/bin/mencoder /home/xxx/public_html/video/Girlfriend_Teasing_Better_than_Pro.wmv -o /home/xxx/public_html/flvideo/4ca4238a0b/12585510521468810512.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br56 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodecflv:vbitrate500:mbd2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last _pred3 -srate 22050 -ofps 24 -vf harddup

the configuration is set to background convertion and I have flvtool enabled and debug enabled. I dont know if these options should be disabled as I dont know what they are needed on my server or not.

Thanks in advance.

Felipe

Set Video convertion to Batch Processing.

Admin > Settings > Miscellaneous > Video Processing:

Make sure cron job is set.
    vShare Hosting, vShare Installation, Server Setup, Lighttpd streaming, vShare Templates
    [email protected]

If it set up to batch, and put a interval like 10 minutes to the cron and during these 10 minutes many videos were uploaded what will gonna happen?

All the videos will be converted at the same time when the cron runs or it will be one by one?

When crop runs, it convert one video. If 10 video uploaded, they are marked pending processing, then it get converted one by one each time cron job runs. So for 10 video, if cron job runs every 10 minutes, it take 100 minute to finish the convertion of all the videos. For videos downloaded from third party site (admin import, bulk import feature), it need to run cron job two times, first for downloading the video, then to convert the video.
    vShare Hosting, vShare Installation, Server Setup, Lighttpd streaming, vShare Templates
    [email protected]

thank you. i hope it solves the issue.