Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: merge upload with ad trailer

Default Re: merge upload with ad trailer

What happened to this feature request? Is it still on the cards? Sounds like a breakthrough is imminent.... or not? :D :( Yes, No?

Admin...?
    Zeffer...?
    Anyone...?

C'mon Mat, surely you have a few ideas on this..... :)

The closest I've come to finding out how this can be applied is here
    http://www.jeroenwijering.com/extras/ad ... ments.html

Now if someone smarter than me can implement the principal we've got it sussed as Jeroen has given us the ability to have pre and post roll + swf clickable overlays :)

Any takers?

That's really cool Gerb, I watched the demos at the link and it's clear this can be done. What I thought was good, was the fact that when you select the preroll ads, it shows the ad in before the video when you watch it the first time, but if you want to watch the video again, it plays without the ad - I think that's a great compromise for both advertiser and user. The advertiser gets his ad right there, front and center, but once the ad has played, the user gets to play the video again without getting annoyed.

Pleeeeaase admin, there has to be a way to get this integrated into the control panel so we can upload the ads we want displayed before each individual video and edit (change the ads for different clients/dates/times etc...) - This is how you monetize a vshare site!! :D

The compromise impressed me too.

On further investigation it looks like Jeroen has had his work used by lots of people as his player is used in quite a few CMS's and blogs as plugins. The other cool feature I found somewhere was the ability to add videos and the pre/post rolls into a DB and call them.

From what I can work out the trick is to use the XML file to call the pre/post roll. I think the only issues with admin integrating his work would be we would all need to get a commercial license (not a problem for me at 15 Euros) and admin would need to leave Jeroen's work unencoded.

All in all this looks like the best option I've found (and I have been looking damned hard) so please Please PLEASE Admin .... will you try to give us this much wanted feature? - even if to comply with licensing it has to be as a plugin?

TIA

Kev

Yup, it looks like the XML is the kicker. Read somewhere on the forum (I think Galnet was working on an XML playlist) but from the sound of things, it's a bugger to get working properly. If this code of Jeroen's will help I'm sure the guys here will figure something out. Although if as you say they will have to leave the code unencrypted, there might be a bit of a snag. Unless I'm wrong, this thing is going to need to be integrated into the vshare admin panel (which we will hopefully be able to configure on an ads per video basis - not just the same one ad running before every video), which means that admin won't simply be able to drop this puppy in and have it running without some merging and tinkering in the code.

The 15 Euros is a drop in the ocean considering the potential revenue this added feature will be able to generate (I'd make my money back in an hour :lol: ). Some things are worth their weight in gold, this feature is one of them. Whether they they end up using Joroen's code, or figuring out another solution, doesn't matter - this is where the rubber meets the road.

The ability to run pre or post roll on a per video basis would be the pure genius :) and I'm sure the guys are more than capable of making it happen. Let's face it they are smart cookies. They built this.

Having to keep the code un-encrypted was what made me think the solution may be a plugin. I'm sure they'll work it out. A few hook here and a hook there along with some instructions would do it for me.

Like you said about the revenue option :) - I just added up the total cost :) $10 + E15 + debranding - Kerching !!!!
    Unless I'm well off on my sums that'd mean having to wait at least .... oooh at least 48 hours before running into that horrible thing called profit.

On the XML playlist thing. It is a bitch but doable. Personally, if admin gives us a thumbs up that it will happen I'm happy to use my basic skills to hack something into the community pot??

GOsh, I need this soooo bad!

G

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    Yup, it looks like the XML is the kicker. Read somewhere on the forum (I think Galnet was working on an XML playlist) but from the sound of things, it's a bugger to get working properly.
    You might be thinking of the following thread that I had going:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1458&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

You will see Zeffer comment that admin told him that it is basically impossible to do. That's certainly true with the old player used by vShare, but it only takes 30 seconds of time to upgrade to a newer version that will support playlists.

As you can see from the front page of my site, using xml playlists when all of the files are hard coded works great. The trouble comes in when you try to use coding to automatically use the proper video. I had people who even worked on the design of the player trying to help, and it just didn't work. If you go through the thread listed above, you'll see that we tried most anything that we could based on the information available in the template files.

It is impossible to do more right now since all the files are coded. I sent admin a question about it, but never received any kind of answer. I know he's busy. I guess this just isn't a priority with them. That's really a shame too, because it's something that could really put their player over the top.

I'll eventually hire someone to combine the vshare code with uncoded files I have from similar clones and see if we can figure out why this isn't working. I just figured there was no point in posting further since I was basically just talking to myself in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbil
    Personally, if admin gives us a thumbs up that it will happen I'm happy to use my basic skills to hack something into the community pot??
    It would certainly be nice, but I would not hold my breath. If you look back at messages over the last few months, you'll see it go from being something the admin will look into, to something the admin says cant be done, to something the admin wont issue a reply about it. It is certainly doable, but I don't think they know how to approach it. I'll keep cracking at it myself, but I think it's impossible to get it done when everything is encrypted.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

So now we are 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGamingTV.com
    It is certainly doable, but I don't think they know how to approach it. I'll keep cracking at it myself, but I think it's impossible to get it done when everything is encrypted.
    Maybe now we know it can be done if we pool our thoughts / results together in this thread we can get somewhere. If the admins are stuck or busy moving the core code forward it can only help us (and them)?

The biggest hurdle I foresee is that every time we have an update we may have to rework things. Provided we don't go out to far it might not be such a problem.

I've also gotta say I'm really impressed with the sportgaming site. That looks nice. Great work.

Hey SportsGamingTV, my bad... I knew it was one of you "Big Guys" who was working on this :oops: I think that the more attention we focus on this feature and keep updating this thread, the sooner admin will need to acknowledge that it is one of the higher priority upgrades required. Heck, if they're stuck, all they need to do is contact one of you guys who has some working parts of the code and pick your brains for details on overcoming any hurdle they might be facing. From the sound of things, if the script were not encrypted, you would most likely already have figured this thing out, so it shouldn't be difficult for admin and his team to do the same :)

Let's hope he gives it some serious consideration. Anyone else interested in this feature, please just post a reply saying "Me too, please" and in so doing, admin can see how many of us are interested in getting this added. If only a handful of us show interest, it's easy for this thread to simply fade away and the feature forgotten about. Let's keep the momentum going here :wink:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast