Thread: wmv upload doesn't go beyond "Create Thumbnail"

Default wmv upload doesn't go beyond "Create Thumbnail"

New vShare user here. First of all, awesome product guys :).

I'm seeing this issue with wmv uploads where the browser looses the connection and the last line in debug.txt is "Create Thumbnail - START". The file gets uploaded fine to the video folder, but there is no flv in the flvideo folder. Also, running ffmpeg in the shell produces the desired results. All other formats seem to work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello again, thought id post here aswell as im having the exact same issue we have a good dedicated server that is not under heavy load and experiencing it also.

You need to check your ffmpeg/ffmpeg-php installation, it can't create thumbnail for the video.

What codec does vShare use for wmv?

vshare do not use any codec, it use ffmpeg or mencoder to do the conversion. So if ffmpeg or mencoder is properly installed, video conversion will work.

By default, it will be mencoder (as it support more format, if properly installed). You can switch to ffmpeg if you need, more details available at

http://forums.buyscripts.in/viewtopic.php?t=352

You can see what command used to convert video on your site by checking templates_c/debug.txt file.

The encoding part can fail if the server load is too great? Say as if you have 5 websites on a dedicated basic server with 50 people online at each site and try to upload, will it stop the encoding process due to too much resources being used else where? And how do people find it on shared hosting packages having problems?

The encoding part can fail if the server load is too great?
    Yes, it can fail if your server is on high server load. Not just video conversion, almost all process that need lot of cpu can fail if the resource is not available.

Say as if you have 5 websites on a dedicated basic server with 50 people online at each site and try to upload, will it stop the encoding process due to too much resources being used else where?
    It all depends on server load, how many people or web site you host do not matter.

And how do people find it on shared hosting packages having problems?
    If you are asking about "Create Thumbnail" problem, i do not say it is because server load.

From my experience, this is due to ffmpeg installation (you may need reinstall ffmpeg-php too).

You can upload the video to http://video.bizhat.com and see if Thumbnail creation works, you are using the same code, so if Thumbnail not dot work on your server, problem is with your requirement installation or server.

Nah im not having the thumbnail problem, it more the wmv files over 12mb are not converting currectly. I upload the file it uploads ok to the video folder but the upload page goes to a timed out page, then when i check the video on the website it doent have a runtime and the video is shorter, hence why i thought it may be due to strain on the server. I will soon know i am updating to a top line dedicated to see if it stops the problem.