Thread: Randomized SQL database changes for latest viewed

Default Randomized SQL database changes for latest viewed

Hey there admin.
    Here's an idea for a feature that would be a handy promotional tool.

The logic goes like this - if you wander into a well stocked shop but there are no people browsing, you are very likely to leave quickly no matter how good the stock is. However if there are lots of people browsing you're more likely to stay and it's more likely other people who look through the door will come on in. (basic human nature)
    The idea is that we have a feature which can be switched on in the admin section - this is a simple program which picks a random time of between say 2 seconds and 2 minutes, and selects a random video in the database as being the most recently viewed (ie it changes the database). That way whenever someone comes to the site it appears that the site is constantly ticking over with people using it all of the time.
    Because the choice of video is random, over time the most popular videos will still stay the most popular (statistically proven).
    Also server stats wouldn't be affected - ie webalizer modlogan etc so you could still get accurate traffic figures.
    Then when a site takes off the owner can switch off the feature.
    I believe that this would be beneficial as a promotional tool to both us and you as more people will return to our sites and more people will buy vshare as it gains more market penetration.
    Any thoughts anyone?
    Hoss
    BTW I'll be continuing the press release thing when I get home from work 0830 hrs here now.
    Hoss

Check out http://u2jam.com we have a "Videos being watched right now" addon running on the home page. A member here modified it to work with vshare, see this thread: http://forums.buyscripts.in/viewtopic.php?p=4786#4786

It works like a charm! Not certain if this is exactly what your after.

Yeah that was galnet wasn't it.
    No that isn't really what I'm after. If you look at youtwatonline and also the link you gave you'll see (I think) that the 'watched now' vids which keep rolling over are the same vids, unless someone comes to the site, then one changes - so that you can tell no-one is visiting the site because the same old ten keep coming up again and again - the position is just changed that's all.
    What I'm after is new vids coming up all of the time as the most recently viewed so that it looks like the site is pumping with visitors, and the number of 'times viewed' changes with that every time the program changes the database to show which is the most recently viewed (if that's how that particular feature works - after all it might just be a text file in the file list.
    Then once a site is getting an increase in traffic - we simply switch the feature off because we don't need it.
    I'm probably not explaining it well.
    Hoss

Hi Hoss.

Yer this can be done with the script I've created. All you have to do with the script is open it and change one setting and then it will choose random videos from the database.

Infact for spun2u I've I will PM you instructions in order to do this!

Hoss if you visit my site you will see if you refresh the index page that the videos will always change order.

Regards,
    Mat.
    ------------------------------------
    Make an arse of yourself:
    http://www.youtwatonline.com
    ------------------------------------

Yeah mate that's what I need.

Not sure how I'll make it match the look of my template but I'll get online when I get home and give you some money.;

Just one thing - is there any chance of altering the script so that the number of times a vid is viewed matches that random selection.
    I can live with it if it doesn't

Cheers
    Hoss
    Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by galnet

Infact for spun2u I've I will PM you instructions in order to do this!

Regards,
    Mat.

Got it! Thx. Although I'll leave mine as is for now..