Thread: Shared hosting questions

Default Shared hosting questions

Hi guys,

I am currently running another Youtube clone script which I paid around $500 for and have since discovered it has many annoying bugs. The support team are next to useless so I started looking around and have found your script here.
    I have looked around this forum and seen quite a number of others using this script which appears to be neat, clean and logical and the support here appears to be MUCH better.
    Then I saw the price and couldn't believe I paid what I did for the 'other' script!!!

Anyway, I am currently running my other script on a Godaddy shared server. I also have a number of other sites running on Godaddy and have found their reliability and customer support to be excellent over the past three years I have been with them. I am also very familiar with their control panel so I'd like to stick with them.
    I have noticed there are others who are running this script on various shared hosting services so I am curious to know how to go about setting up the third party encoding requirements for this script.
    My plan is to stick with the shared hosting option (which is working more than adequately right now) until my site grows enough to bring in revenue to cover the cost of dedicated hosting.

I did a search before making this post but did not find anything specific to Godaddy shared hosting.
    If anyone can assist me with my questions, that would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Titania
    Admin
    http://www.muscletelevision.com
    Professional strongwoman and musician

Default Re: Shared hosting questions

Thanks for the super fast response Leki. I am most impressed with the support offered here!

One major question I do have though is those documents and guides appear to assume server root access and a working knowledge of Linux.
    I do not have root access to my server (Godaddy shared hosting), I only have ftp access from CuteFTP on my WinXP machine and MySQL access from my browser for creating and administering databases. I have practically no working knowledge of Linux.
    I am more than comfortable editing php configs and setting up php.ini files though and have painstakingly sifted through many php files and CSS sheets in order to get my current (totally undocumented!) 'other' script running (with bugs) and looking presentable.

Perhaps at this point, I may be better off getting your recommended hosting provider (hostonnet) to install your script for me on one of their servers and redirect my current domain to that. I noticed you are planning to allow external video hosting servers in the next couple of builds so I could always use my current Godaddy hosting for that, once available, and just use hotonnet for the actual script and conversions.

If you could let me know if I need root access and Linux knowledge to set up solely on Godaddy shared, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for your support and I look forward to using your script.

Kind regards,
    Titania
    admin
    http://www.muscletelevision.com

Hi

well i don't work for vshare...i'm just a user here but a number of us do try and help each other out.

yes you would need root access and some linux knowledge would help for using the above guides.

if you were using a youtube clone script on your godaddy hosting then how did you get the requirements installed that time?

Quote Originally Posted by leki
    Hi

well i don't work for vshare...i'm just a user here but a number of us do try and help each other out.

yes you would need root access and some linux knowledge would help for using the above guides.

if you were using a youtube clone script on your godaddy hosting then how did you get the requirements installed that time?
    I got the people who wrote the script to do the installation. When I checked my config php files, I discovered that the ffmpeg and other associated third party requirements are actually not on my server but are on their server which I really don't like. Clearly, that means ALL instances of that script on anyone's servers would be sharing the codecs and that is most likely what is making things fail so often with format conversions to flv.
    I have had to turn off the uploading of anything other than flv files and tell people to use the Riva flv encoder!! That is a MAJOR drawback and is obviously turning away many potential new uploads to my site. Needless to say, the lack of support by the guys who sell that script and these major bugs is a BIG turn off!

Besides, this script looks MUCH cleaner and is far more intuitive for users already familiar with the Youtube system so I am really keen to replace my current script with this one. :)

This domain and site is only three weeks old and we are approaching 50,000 hits and over 100 members so I am really keen to get the changeover done quickly before it grows further.

Hey there Titania,

Your site downloads way faster than any of mine do.
    I'm looking around at other host providers (currently on cirtex).
    Who are you with.

Cheers
    Hoss

Hi Hoss,

I ended up going with vShare recommendations and have my vShare script running on HostOnNet on their ffmpeg hosting. I'm quite impressed with their service and, as you say, their servers seem to be pretty responsive.
    The main intro page and the photo gallery are running on my Godaddy server. I've been with Godaddy now for over three years and have found their service to be fast and reliable too.

Greetings.

I'm also curious if anyone has managed to make this script work on Godaddy's shared hosting?

For starters make sure you use PHP4 for Zend to work properly.

I'm very close. I can upload files but am redirected to the signup page once it's completed.... the file is uploaded but nothing is done afterwards. I uploaded a precompiled ffmpeg binary so that's probably the problem. mplayer,mencoder,flvtool are all blank in my config.php.

Godaddy does offer GD support (http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?art ... &topic_id=) but this is as far as I've got in my quest for making this script work. I probably should create a new post to try to fix this... but I'm only using Godaddy until my dedicated server is setup... although I am curious on how to get everything working :)