Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone from the States check my download speed

Default Re: Can someone from the States check my download speed

Thanx everyone

It must just be a problem with relay to this part of the world but I think that I'm going to have to change providers - it just took me 5 minutes to download a 7 second file. Meanwhile youtube steams in faster than I can view it. I'll never know the status of download speeds at any time if I stick with cirtex. Anyone want to buy 9 months worth of account - plus 2 lots of 11 months plus one of 10 months. Ouch.

Cheers
    Hoss

Have you tried viewing from a different computer with a differnt kind of connection?
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Yeah - I travel for a living and yesterday I was in a different town - different computer - different ISP. Same problem

I'd have to agree that the server seems fine but there seems to be something wrong when it filters into NZ from cirtex.

Just bad luck for me - I can't ever know at any time whether if the site slows its the server that's slowed or just the NZ connection.
    It's pretty strange because two weeks ago it used to be fine down here, comparable with anything and a steal at the price.

Not too keen on the price hike of the VPS, but I have to be able to keep my finger on the pulse and I'm at the point where I don't have too much in the way of a choice.

Thanx for the feebback Grynmoors, also Leki, SportsgamingtTV and Greengambler
    Hoss

If you close your account, they will probably give you a refund for the balance not being used and then you can apply that to your new hosting.

While on the subject, if you are in NZ, what's it like for you to view vids from our sites in the US? Have you tried one of my sites? Try http://bf2video.com and let me know what you experience. I'd like to also know. If you have problems with yours then my guess is that ppl from NZ will have problems like you do when viewing my sites?

Hey there Grynmoors - cool site by the way.

Yep it's as slow as a really slow thing - same as my sites. Strange because two weeks ago it was all cool.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole NZ thing as the country only has 4 million people - just slightly more than a small Tibetan sauna in the off season.
    It might pay to check Aussie though as they are much larger - there are plenty of people who come onto the forum for a look from Australia so you shouldn't have any problems if you do want to check.

I'm switching over to VPS any time, hopefully I got all of the dns stuff done properly - if not fast metal will disappear off the net leaving only a smoking hole.

I'll let you know how download speeds compare when its all over.

Cheers
    Hoss

Hey thanks.

Yours is pretty awesome too.

Good Luck! I hope you were able to move all the files over with out a hitch.

Sometimes moving webhosts is worse than moving your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss
    Thanx everyone

It must just be a problem with relay to this part of the world but I think that I'm going to have to change providers - it just took me 5 minutes to download a 7 second file. Meanwhile youtube steams in faster than I can view it. I'll never know the status of download speeds at any time if I stick with cirtex. Anyone want to buy 9 months worth of account - plus 2 lots of 11 months plus one of 10 months. Ouch.

Cheers

Yeah, now you see why they force you to buy a year at a time. lol. My trouble started the next day after my 30 day refund period ended, which seemed highly suspect at first, but I believe it was just a coincidence.

Still though, if they have failed to provide the level of service that you paid for, I think it is grounds for a disputed charge. Ask them for a pro-rated refund, and if they refuse then remind them of this. Tell them you really dont want to dispute the charges unless they will leave you no other choice, and it's better for them to give you the partial refund so that they can at least get paid for the time you did use the service.

If nothing else, you can throw up a fast vshare site with just the basic template and put it up for sale. Say that it comes with hosting paid until X. As long as you aren't getting too greedy, you should be able to sell it, which would be a way of recovering that money.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Good news, good news (I sound like Roscoe P Coletrain) The server change went without a hitch and the feed down here is screaming in.

I think rather than sell this account off I might see if I can use it as a data backup - it makes sense at the price to have 10 gigs of site sitting there ready to reload in case anything goes radically wrong with the other server and I lose my site despite the raid array.

Don't know if it's feasible but I'll investigate.

I'm grateful to you all for your help with this.
    Cheers
    Hoss

It can also provide you a good test environment for vshare upgrades and for testing new templates, so it won't be a total waste.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Yeah I've already got a dev site in behind the main one - however I use it mainly to keep an eye on traffic -(hooking it up the the site database at times)

I'm having a few issues as the www updates - pulling images etc from one site or the other randomly - should be over soon I hope.

With the new package running php5, the utube uploads are rocking again. Yeehah!
    Hoss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12