Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade vShare v2.4 to vShare 2.5

Default Re: Upgrade vShare v2.4 to vShare 2.5

I didn't think it was too much to ask. Maybe I'm wrong. :(

You can compare the cnaged file with the orginal file to see what changes are made.

Default Spaces in video name causing problems

I'm seeing a strange behavior in the upgrade:

I uploaded two different videos, one flv and one wmv, and both failed.

The debug.txt showed that in both cases, when the program uploaded videos with spaces in their names, it replaced the spaces with dashes, which I think is a great idea since Linux seems to hate spaces in file names. But when it goes to convert the video, it references by the original file name with the spaces, not the new name with the dashes, causing a "file not found" failure:

Case 1:
    Original file on my hard drive: 15dec2006-per2 interview.flv
    File as uploaded to the vshare "video" folder: 15dec2006-per2-interview.flv (note that the dash between "2" and "interview" was not in the original file)
    File in the "debug.txt":
    2007-10-04 19:11:34 File: /home/whahocke/public_html/video/15dec2006-per2 interview.flv
    2007-10-04 19:11:34 ERROR: file not found.

Case 2:
    Original file on my hard drive: Spurs Xmas1.wmv
    File as uploaded to the vshare "video" folder: Spurs-Xmas1.wmv (note dash added between "Spurs" and "Xmas")
    File in the "debug.txt":
    2007-10-05 5:18:44 File: /home/whahocke/public_html/video/Spurs Xmas1.wmv
    2007-10-05 5:18:44 ERROR: file not found.

I'm going to rename the files without dashes, and report back, but thought that you should see this.

By the way some AWESOME AWESOME improvements in the last update, especially in the way things are worded in the templates and all over the program. You should really give yourself a pat on the back, admin, because you are doing a great job on this script. It BLOWS AWAY any cheap or expensive bullshit script I've seen anywhere else.

In video_conversion.php, find

Code:
    $video_src
    Replace with

Code:
    '$video_src'

Default Spaces in video name causing problems

File already has single quotes around the variable....

In my installation, it's acting like a routine to rename file with spaces to the same file name but hyphens instead of spaces, but forgets to set $video_src to the new value...???

2007-10-05 5:18:44 File: /home/whahocke/public_html/video/Spurs Xmas1.wmv
    Can you verify this file exists on your server ?

I uploded a file with name "Spurs Xmas1.wmv" to http://video.bizhat.com and it is working fine.

Do you have progress bar enabled or not ?

Man, I've been gone so long that I nearly missed an upgrade.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

You can compare the cnaged file with the orginal file to see what changes are made.
    My files are too heavily modified to compare to yours to see what has been changed, so this isn't really a solution.

In order to do this, I would have to first download an old version of the files. I can't do this, because my download link now downloads version 2.5, so it's senseless to download that to compare.

Surely you know what you changed. What is the harm in putting out a little documentation to say style.css had x, y and z changed, tpl files had a and b changed?

I dont think this is necessary with most files. But when you start changing template files and style sheets, it would only be a basic courtesy to let people know what the changes were, since these are the files that most people would have changed when moving away from the look of the "out of the box" template. If you had some kind of basic documentation, this upgrade would take an hour. Without it, it will take me over a week to (unnecessarily) remodify all my template files, and I suspect it would be all for nothing since I've already fixed most of the errors you had in those files.

foxxy what i do when updating my templates since i have changed them all a lot is always download every full release and upgrade that comes out and store them.

when a new version comes out (for example 2.5) i would then compare the 2.5 upgrade with the 2.4 full version and then transfer the changes to my own templates. unfortunatly there is a lot of pointless changes between 2.4 and 2.5 such as spacing which makes it hard to compare.

If you don't have 2.4 full to compare then maybe admin can provide it for you.

vShare Upgrade 2.4 to 2.5
    This will only upgrade MySQL database, you need to upgrade your files also.
    Current DB version : 2.4

vShare Upgraded to Version 2.5
    Is that suppose to be all I get when I run the install/upgrade..... file?
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast