Thread: vShare and pphpbb3 BBcode

Default vShare and pphpbb3 BBcode

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you guys got a custom phpbb3 bbcode to display vShare videos in forum posts?

For example, I use this custom bbcode to place youtube videos on phpbb forums:

Code:
    [youtube]http://{TEXT1}youtube.com/watch?v={TEXT2}[/youtube]
    and

Code:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://{TEXT1}youtube.com/v/{TEXT2}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://{TEXT1}youtube.com/v/{TEXT2}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    I would love to be able to do the same with vshare, but I'm not that good with coding.. so I can't figure out how.

Thanks

Default Re: vShare and pphpbb3 BBcode

The <object> tag doesn't work? vshare uses <object> tag for embedding videos. I don't have phpbb anything so wouldn't know but I do know that vshare has <object> available for embedding videos...but since I might want to post a video in a phpbb forum somewhere...I think I'll check into the FAQ for a phpbb forum about how to embed a video into a post, like they have for "how to put an image" or "how to put a sig".

UPDATE:
    Aparantly being able to embed youtube videos in phpbb boards is a mod that needs to be installed into the phpbb. I would imagine that a similar mod would be needed to be done to phpbb for vshare?
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Hi,

No mod is needed, as I posted... you can use phpbb3 custom bbcode to post youtube, googlevideo, etc. videos to forum posts. But I don't know how to create that custom bbcode, on my example the bbcode is for youtube videos, with that code anyone can easily go to bbcode area on ACM and enter it, then all you need to do is use

Code:
    [youtube]video url[/youtube]
    I thought someone here would have already done this for vshare as well, but I guess not.

Are you sure? 'Cos when I researched it, in order to allow people to use the bbcode of [youtube][/youtube], this required a mod installed by the board owner (found this info at the phpbb site -- unless phpbb have changed things since then and include it in the newest version). I'll go back and check the site and post the link here where I read that.

That's why I'm thinking a mod for [videosite][/videosite] would be the same case. Maybe looking into the code for what runs the youtube bbcode will offer some clues? Anybody out there know?

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE MOD FOR THE PHPBB [YOUTUBE] BBCODE: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=375183
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Has anyone developed a bridge between Vshare and phpbb3 or SMF forums?

You are correct, grynmoors. This is an addon that must be installed on each forum individually. So unless there is sufficient demand, most forum owners will not bother. Many forums still do not even offer something for YouTube, let alone anyone else.

The reality, for the moment anyway, is that you'll only be able to embed on forums that have html enabled in forum posts. Most forums have this turned off by default because there is a security risk to allowing people to execute html code within a post.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out