Thread: membership features?

Default membership features?

Hey, is anyone out there using the membership system? Can you post a link to your site?

What does the membership thing do anyway? Does it limit the amount anyone can download, or is it just for the amount of their own videos that others can download?

Default Re: membership features?

Anyone at all using the membership system?

We used the membership features briefly, fairly recently, on a new server with unconstrained bandwidth (see our post about numbers through the roof). The purpose of the additional membership features is actually to provide some income "by selling packages" to different users ... packages that you can either design or use the included templates, to provide pricing, allotted bandwidth, server space, whatever. Didn't you notice all of that stuff from the admin panel, and if you did, why didn't you just play around with it in order to find out more ... or get more answers here, by people who actually provide some USEFUL dialogue instead of just complaints, put-downs, and irrelevant garbage that is of no use to anyone? I couldn't help but notice that most of your posts (read dozens of them) have absolutely nothing constructive in them although that's actually the purpose of a user forum, to help others and be constructive.

Anyway, the more we used the packages (4 week cycle altogether) the more problems we had with bandwidth issues and server space. I know that vShare won't acknowledge this, but I'm convinced that there has to be a bug in the membership packages somewhere ... especially since the admin mentioned in another post that such problems may not exist if the bandwidth was set to unlimited. That obviously won't do any good for anyone who needs to be attentive to their own bandwidth limitations ... since even some server co-location facilities have those.

You speculated on videoswiper issues in another post ... but I beg to differ there since our server has much more security built-in than most smaller private servers. We have zero problems with spam in forums, the video portal, our gaming section, or anywhere else for that matter since we implement automatic timeouts, firewalls, password screening, captchas, moderate greylisting, a little blacklisting, and anything else to keep things as safe as possible. No, I'm convinced that there's some kind of bug whereby bandwidth usage is somehow being misinterpreted ... which would explain sudden notices of excessive usage, even for new membership accounts that have had no uploads at all. As soon as we disabled the packages altogether, the problems went away. We need to use a site like videoswiper since that's the only legal way to obtain playing clips in german that are available to the general public.
    EinfachClicken - Family friendly, Fast, Fun, Informative
    Videoportal: http://www.meineclipshow.einfachclicken.de/
    Freebie Flashgames: http://www.megaspass.einfachclicken.de/
    GERMAN HOMEPAGE - http://www.einfachclicken.de/ TONS of FREE STUFF in over 40.000 files.

bump.... Anyone using the membership system on a commercial site? Would you share you link?

mersh, can you be a little more specific about your question?
    Our own portal is just in the starting phase, meaning I could turn those features back on temporarily in order for you to get a look at them. That's something that you can do too, of course, which is why I'm a little puzzled as to what exactly it is that you're trying to look at or find out? Perhaps nobody else answered the post because they too, have the same problem that I have with your question? Once you enable those features, your vshare would look pretty much the same as everyone elses. Our text has been translated to german and we've disabled the credit card payment feature in the code so only paypal was available. Some minor formatting to make it all line up cleaner (not centered), but in all reality your enabled members should show the same stuff that everyone else has showing. Why not just try it, with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited everything else (to avoid potential problems with your current free members). Then check it out on your own site. It just takes a second to disable it all again ...
    EinfachClicken - Family friendly, Fast, Fun, Informative
    Videoportal: http://www.meineclipshow.einfachclicken.de/
    Freebie Flashgames: http://www.megaspass.einfachclicken.de/
    GERMAN HOMEPAGE - http://www.einfachclicken.de/ TONS of FREE STUFF in over 40.000 files.

mersh, here's what I suggest:

Install a second vShare script to some "test" site on one of your domains...make a "dummy" site and then screw around with it. Find a very small video to use for testing. When you're done playing, just delete everything. That's pretty much what I do. If you need a small video for testing, I managed to get a small "dreamworks" opening trailer video that's small that one of the webhosts I was using uploaded to test my site. I saved it and I use that a lot for testing.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!