Thread: Instruction Manual

Default Instruction Manual

I know there must be an instruction manual somewhere for this program but I can't seem to find anything more than the installation instructions.

Can somebody stair me in the right direction please?

Thanks
    BC

Default Re: Instruction Manual

This is not what I am talking about.
    I'm looking for the manual that walks you throught the admin panel and gives discriptive text explaining all the functions.
    Thanks
    BC

i dont think there is such writing since its very simple to figure out

Yes, most of this is self-explanitory, however, for someone who is new to the world of video scripts a manual would be a Godsend. And to be honest with you, for someone who is well versed in this product, it shouldn't take more than a day or so to run down the list of options available in the “admin panel” and write a short description for each. If I knew this program better, I would do it myself. I would surely think that the owners of this program would want one. Nothing is more important in the world of business than customer service/satisfaction, that’s how “Brand Recognition” is built.

Anyhow,
    I have a couple of questions and I would be greatly appreciative if someone could answer them for me.

In the admin section...

Site Configuration / System Settings
    1) <List Per Page> - What does this do? (What page, what list)?
    2) <Guest Limit> - why is this set to 20000000000? (Does this indicate how many people can be online at one time?)
    3) <Service Type> - Can this be set for specific areas of the site or does it affect the whole site in general?
    4) <Debug Mode> - What does this do?

Site Configuration / Signup Settings
    1) <Signup Captcha> - What is this?

Site Configuration / Miscellaneous
    1) <Video Processing> - Batch, Real Time, Background - Does this affect user or admin uploads or both. How does it work?
    2) <Create Thumbnail with> - ffmpeg-php, mplayer, ffmpeg, what is the difference?
    3) <Flvtool> - What does this do?
    4) <WYSIWYG Editor> what is this?

Thanks for the support
    BC

Happy Easter

Now this is what I am talking about.
    In an attempt to familiarize myself with this program and make some minor changes, I stumbled across this read me file.
    This file answers some of my questions and this is exactly what needs to be created for the entire admin section of the site. This file can then be posted along with the 'help file links' you posted in your original email. This is a good start.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Admin Options
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Site Settings > Signup Settings > Default Friend
    Admin can specify a user name here, this user
    will get auto added as friend when a user
    signup on the web site. This is only for new signup.

* Video Management > Tags
    Allow admin to enable/disable tags.
    Disabled tags will not show up on the web site.

* Site Configuration > Site Settings > Miscellaneous
    WYSIWYG Editor - Enable Disable HTML editor for Web Pages
    WYSIWYG Editor - Enable Disable HTML editor for Email Templates Editor.

* Site Configuration > Site Settings > Miscellaneous > Create Thumbnail with
    create thumbnail, find duration with mplayer or ffmpeg-php
    ffmpeg-php is recommended as mplayer can only get thumbnail
    from specified seconds, ffmpeg-php can create from frame,
    that is (+/-) 24x chances to get a keyframe.

* Site Configuration > Site Settings > Miscellaneous > Mail Admin on Abuse
    Admin can enable/disable Abuse Report email.

* Site Configuration > Site Settings > Home Page
    Number of New Videos
    Number of Recently Viewed Videos

* Site Configuration > Site Settings > Watch Videos
    Allow you to specify number of videos to display on
    "Watch" Page.

* Site Settings > Miscellaneous > flvtool
    Allow admin to enable or disable flvtool meta injection.

* Video Processing > Process Queue > (convert again)
    Allow you to convert video in real time and see
    what is happening, good for debuging

* Servers > List Server
    View/Edit FTP servers for storing flv files.

* Servers > Add Server
    Allow you to add new FTP server to store flv files.

* Site Settings > Miscellaneous > flvtool
    Allow admin to enable or disable flvtool meta injection.
    Don't you just love explanations that tell you less about stuff than you knew before!!

I have used vshare for more than a year and I still don't know what this means.

Debug mode: adds a text log file in your "templates_c" directory so you can trace problems
    Captcha: puts in the cryptic picture so people have to type the letters before registering, so that robots don't register 100 new users every night.
    Video Processing: Real- Upload and it will show up right away. The others are for using cron to process the flv files later or in batches or in intervals of x number of minutes.
    Guest Limit: Try set it to 1. Not too good eh? Unless you have a registration system and then it forces them to go register before they can see any more. A big number is just so it never blocks them out. AFAIK the number is in minutes- not videos.
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the reply, that sheads a little light on things.

Sure do wish I new what that "flvtool meta injection" was.
    Maybe someone will jump in and help us out?

Quote Originally Posted by bcannon
    1) <List Per Page> - What does this do? (What page, what list)?
    This tells vShare how many videos to list per page on your site. Once you reach that limit, you have to scroll to the next page.

2) <Guest Limit> - why is this set to 20000000000? (Does this indicate how many people can be online at one time?)
    This tells vShare how many seconds of video can be watched before requiring the visitor to register for an account. Setting it to a high number pretty much means that a user will never be prompted to signup for an account. Setting this to a low number will prompt a user to signup more quickly.

3) <Service Type> - Can this be set for specific areas of the site or does it affect the whole site in general?
    This tells vShare what type of site you are running (free or paid). Currently, it is site specific. I have built modules, however, than can make this section specific.

4) <Debug Mode> - What does this do?
    Turning this on causes vShare to output a debug file in the templates_c directory. This is useful for troubleshooting video conversion problems.

1) <Signup Captcha> - What is this?
    This turns on a randomly generated image that is displayed to the user at signup. This image must be correctly entered into the form before a user is permitted to signup. This is used to aid in the prevention of automated signups.

1) <Video Processing> - Batch, Real Time, Background - Does this affect user or admin uploads or both. How does it work?
    This affects both user and admin uploads. Batch mode relies on the cron job that gets created. Videos that are uploaded to the system between the cron jobs are converted whenever the cron job takes place. Real Time converts the video as soon as it is uploaded. Background does the same thing as real time with the exception that the conversion takes place as a background process. In Real Time mode, a user who uploads a video has to wait until the video is converted before they can proceed further into the site. In background mode, once the video is uploaded, the conversion process is started as a background process and the user is free to continue using the site.

2) <Create Thumbnail with> - ffmpeg-php, mplayer, ffmpeg, what is the difference?
    In terms of how vShare creates thumbnails, there is no difference. The reason for the choice is that, depending on the host, some features are not available to all users (for example, a webhost may prevent people from using ffmpeg but they are allowed to use mplayer). So, you are able to choose whichever program you have installed. For 99.9% of people, you can choose whichever as you likely have them all installed.

3) <Flvtool> - What does this do?
    This program inserts metadata into your FLV files. 99% of all vShare installations will never use the metadata that is injected. For those of us who use streaming servers such as Lighttpd, however, this metadata is needed so that the streaming server can calculate where each key frame is at. By knowing this information, streaming servers can fast forward or rewind video as it is playing (versus having to download the entire video to your computer first before being able to skip ahead).

4) <WYSIWYG Editor> what is this?
    WYSIWYG (known as "What You See is What You Get") editors are web editors that create (in HTML) exactly what you are seeing on the screen. It's basically like a Microsoft Word editor in which the final outcome is a web page that looks exactly like what you are seeing. These editors are useful to people who do not know HTML.
    vShare Solutions
    Custom vShare Modules and Services

Now, your visitors can watch videos on your site using their mobile or tablet device with the Mobility Mod for vShare 2.8!

WOW, Once again thank you bplex for the very comprehensive answer.