Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add videos from Youtube, still hosted at Youtube.

Default Add videos from Youtube, still hosted at Youtube.

This was touched upon in another thread but not answered.

I'd like to simply be able to add the Youtube embed code to import videos from them, so that they are still hosted at youtube.

What is the point in hosting them myself when youtube are already hosting them and actively encourage you to embed their videos on your site?

So where we now have the excellent import video feature, underneath might be: "Or use video embed code" - so the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 would automatically be placed in the space our hosted video would normally occupy.

Is this ever likely to be in a future release? If not, I'll get a coder to do it for me.

We tried to have this on last release. But some technical problem.... like how to make thumbnail of a youtube video... We found some site have an option for user to upload image for the video.

Let us know you suggestion on image for the video. Any sample site url where we can see how it should work will be nice.

We will try to have this on next release.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    We tried to have this on last release. But some technical problem.... like how to make thumbnail of a youtube video... We found some site have an option for user to upload image for the video.

Let us know you suggestion on image for the video. Any sample site url where we can see how it should work will be nice.

We will try to have this on next release.
    I think it should be straightforward - if you look at the existing thumbnails, they are made up of the video URL but adapted slightly - like these examples:

The video URL value= http://www.youtube.com/v/rwYBQU9y2sQ

http://img.youtube.com/vi/rwYBQU9y2sQ/default.jpg

Second one:

value= http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfEKJ1vJKfs

Corresponding thumbnail: http://img.youtube.com/vi/ZfEKJ1vJKfs/default.jpg

Will see if there's an existing tool out there that we can adapt :)

If this was added.. that would be like GOD!

Good luck trying to figure out a way to make it work ^_^

Apologies, this should have been entered in feature requests not the work in progress forum. I was getting overly optimistic there for a moment :oops:

If this is solved I have a ton of sites that could use this program. Will keep them on the shelf for now - the hosting costs and time required to fill them up manually make them prohibitive at the moment. :)

Hi I was reading on YouTubes terms and conditions that it is perfectly fine to use the embed feature on their site, however the minute you start charging people access to your site, youtube can take you to court over it.

Non Commercial Sites - Embed YouTube Videos - No Problem
    Commercial Sites - Embed YouTube Videos - Court Case

Maybe something to think about when you add this feature.
    ------------------------------------
    Make an arse of yourself:
    http://www.youtwatonline.com
    ------------------------------------

If you do ever add this, please make it a voluntary option.

Personally, I would much rather host the videos myself. It decreases the liklihood that a visitor to my site will encounter a problem. People on Youtube will also delete their uploaded videos from time to time, and I wouldn't want my site getting cluttered with a bunch of broker youtube links.

I like the current method of importing just fine.
    This member is now known as Sitting Out

Time to stick my head over the parapet.
    I think this is a bad idea. To me, it's just hotlinking/bandwidth theft.
    Upload your own copy, and host it yourself.

Don't forget, a simple .htaccess file could kill this in seconds.
    Look, it's not steep till you need to stop ok !

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy
    Time to stick my head over the parapet.
    I think this is a bad idea. To me, it's just hotlinking/bandwidth theft.
    Upload your own copy, and host it yourself.

Don't forget, a simple .htaccess file could kill this in seconds.
    Why would Youtube actively promote embedding videos into your site and then disallow you to? They want the publicity, and couldn't give a toss about bandwidth charges.

It's fine saying host it yourself, but I'm not charging anyone anything to view the videos, and if I upload 5000 odd videos myself, my bandwidth charges would kill the projects before they started.

It would help us small fry immensely having this feature in place.

Youtube allow you to embed their videos in your site, as they get a link out of it, and stay at the top of the rankings. Just stealing the .flv by hotlinking *might* piss them off, particularly if you are making money off the back of it. I know you said you don't charge your users, but do you have a totally free, without advertising website? If not, you are classed as commercial. The download from youtube admin function allows you to get the video you want anyway, as I said, you just need to host it. You said that your bandwidth charges would kill your project if you have to host this amount of data? With respect, if you have to hotlink, your project might need a rethink. Youtube will be able to pull the plug on you at any time, and could of course drag you into court.
    If you really can't afford to host the vids, stick with the embed function, but if you are creating a site using 5000+ vids of theirs, I would expect to get noticed.
    Just IMHO
    Look, it's not steep till you need to stop ok !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast