Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Adjustment ffmpeg render to flv - way to adjust HOW?

Default Quality Adjustment ffmpeg render to flv - way to adjust HOW?

Okay I'm looking to see if the ffmpeg render capability for flv can be adjusted. Does any one know how this can be done?

Why I'm asking:

One of my Site Editors was uploading a video file, wmv format 3.4mb when uploaded and rendered to flv it became 12.8mb!!!

Another wmv file jumped from 13mb to a 47mb flv ...this is crazy rendering for a streaming video hosting website!

Now I'd like to view the ffmpeg settings to tweak the render quality - Is this do-able?

Dafydd

Are you using ffmpeg or mencoder ?

If you ask in mailing list of these software, you will get better answers.

For mencoder,

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listi ... ayer-users

ffmpeg mailing list

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/mailinglists.html

Thank you for the reply.

The ffmpeg encoder - is the package offered by HostOnNet.com

My concern is to do with the compression of already compressed video files being rendered to a much larger file size.

There is no access as i see it to the ffmeg flv encoder settings and WE should have this access.

Now this might be a Hosting issue or it's to do with admin access to change the configuration using the admin tools provided by vshare. Whichever way it is...the website needs to have the tools to tweak the encoder to ensure the flv file meets the requirements of the website operator.

Thank you for the links... but they don't actually help in this case.

You can change convert command in

include/setting/video_conversion.php

Also you will able to see the command used to convert the video in your debug log (templates_c/debug.txt)

If you need to ask the mailing list, you need to provide the convert command used for converting the video to FLV.

you can access the command ffmpeg and memcoder uses in include\settings\video_conversion.php ...if thats what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by leki
    you can access the command ffmpeg and memcoder uses in include\settings\video_conversion.php ...if thats what you mean
    Leki - Thank you.

You have answered I hope exactly what I needed to change/alter. The video bitrate will now be tweaked..

I'll play with the rate and report back.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

I appreciate the effort involved with answering postings and enjoy the helpfulness shown here on this forum.

Dafydd

Update:

The template used to create the wmv video had a 125 kbps bitrate. The flv compression default bitrate was set at 500. Basically the resulting flv file was 5 times larger than the original wmv video.

Reducing the flv bitrate has resulted in a significant change. My Site Editor's wmv template is a bit low in video res... but I think it is adequate and might opt for the same res on the site.

Thanks admin and Leki for your input.

Dafydd

It would be good if ffmpeg/memcoder detected the bitrate of a video if it was say 125 then coverted the video using a bitrate of the same value as there is no point increasing the filesize when no quailty is gained. If the bit rate was higher than 500 then it would be lowered to 500.

Anyone know if this is possible with ffmpeg/memcoder?

Choosing the compression bitrate manually from a drop down menu during the file upload process might be an option if the bitrate cant be auto selected. Though this is problematic if you get a nit selecting too high a bitrate etc.

At the moment changing the default setting can adversely effect video files uploaded.

Dafydd

that could work for admin uploads but user uploads wont as i bet 90% of my site visiters wouldnt know what the bitrate was ;)

be better if it could be auto detected by the software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast