Thread: Disk space usage of uploaded videos

Default Disk space usage of uploaded videos

I'm trying to understand how the process works. Let's say, for example, that a user uploads a 100 MB movie. It is then automatically encoded as an FLV file for display on the site. So aside from the FLV, is the original uploaded file also stored on the site, thereby taking up 100 MB of disk space?

As well, What is the default max file size for an uploaded video? And where do I edit that limit?

And finally, where do I find the complete list of all the file extensions/types that are allowed for upload?

Vito

Default Re: Disk space usage of uploaded videos

Quote Originally Posted by vito
    I'm trying to understand how the process works. Let's say, for example, that a user uploads a 100 MB movie. It is then automatically encoded as an FLV file for display on the site. So aside from the FLV, is the original uploaded file also stored on the site, thereby taking up 100 MB of disk space?
    Now vshare only look into size of the file user uploaded. We are working on upload part, so we will see getting size of FLV and use that for bandwidth calculation.

But this will not very accurate, it is a relative measure of the usage, we can't find real usage figures with current method.

So if you sell subscription, put big bandwidth, so customers will not face much problems.

As well, What is the default max file size for an uploaded video? And where do I edit that limit?
    There is no default upload size, you need to set this in your php.ini

Setting php.ini for Large File Uploads

And finally, where do I find the complete list of all the file extensions/types that are allowed for upload?
    List is available in

include/settings/upload.php
    include/settings/video_conversion.php

You can add more extensions if you have a converter for the video format to FLV.

I might be wrong here but I think that vito is asking which files are being used by the site, those in the video folder or the flvvideo folder.
    If only one is used then we could delete half of the files which take up disk space on our servers.
    I saw that topic somewhere I think but I cant find it now.

I'd like to know too if anyone has the info.

Cheers
    Hoss
    Hoss

Thanks, Hoss. Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I realize that disk space is relatively cheap these days, but I don't see the point of the bative uploaded files using up many GB of space when they are not necessary.

Vito

the flv files in the flvideo dir are what are used on the site....you can delete the ones in videos dir if you want

When in Admin, if I click on Active Users, then click on the link in the Video column of a particular user, I see a list of videos that the user has uploaded. However, they are not all the resulting encoded FLV files. They are links to the opriginally uploaded files.

So if I go in and delete the uploaded files, they will not appear. I guess I am trying to figure out how to view a user's videos without having to keep all the original (large) uploaded files on the site.

Vito

i think your wrong there.....all mine listed are the FLV's....the player can only play FLV files so there would be no way for it to play the orginals.

post a screenshot?