Thread: Convert Error ~ Host or bad install?

Default Convert Error ~ Host or bad install?

I have installed VShare and everything works perfectly except when I upload videos. I get a "convert error" in the processing queue, and the file added in the flvideo folder is zero bytes in size.

The support technician at the hosting company is telling me it is installed incorrectly and that I need to pay them 25 dollars to install it.

I searched these forums before I submitted a ticket and every solution I have found, has to do with mencoder, which is something on the hosts end, not my end. Is this correct? Which means it can't be an install issue but is in fact a server issue?

Default Re: Convert Error ~ Host or bad install?

look in your templates_C/debug.txt for the error or run the mencoder command manually from SSH promt and see what error you get.

Covert error is due to mencoder is not converting the video to FLV format.

This can happen due to problem with mencoder or if the video format (codec used) is not supported by mencoder.

Check templates/debug.txt file, you will see the convert command. Ask your host if that convert command works on the server. Mencoder have recently changed the convert command, if you check vshare include/settings/video_conversion.php file, you will see two commands, one for old and other for new version of mencoder, try both.

If none works, it can be a server problem. Ask the host what convert command works on the server.
    vShare Hosting, vShare Installation, Server Setup, Lighttpd streaming, vShare Templates
    [email protected]

Thank you for the replies, both of you. I do not have SSH or telnet access, but I did send the information to the support technician.

I'll wait and see what their reply is, but right now I am looking for another host. I don't have days to waste trying to get a program working, that they say they support, and that they advertise as a feature for their services, only to have it screw up everywhere. Not when I see other people with other hosts having very little to no problems.