Thread: check your index.tpl for this

Default check your index.tpl for this

Hey kids, I posted this in the bug report section but in case anybody missed it...

check your index.tpl file and look for

Code:
    {if $recent_total gt 0}
    I think it should be

Code:
    {if $recent_total gt "0"}
    After I put the quotes around the 0, the page that had videos going straight to featured right after being uploaded quit doing it after I made this change. I think the quotes matter since every "if" statement on the page has the quotes around the 0 and this is the only one that doesn't.

It comes with the "youtube fix" patch and fresh install.
    If it's not fun, stop doing it!

Default Re: check your index.tpl for this

I didn't notice any difference but correct code is always welcome.

I am not sure what is not right with my script but the 5 featured videos are always the same videos for me. They never change. What makes them change? So I always have to put in a manually selected featured video.
    CasselmanCanada.com (free access)

As far as I know, the featured video is always manually selected through the admin panel. If you're getting the same 5 videos going to featured, then maybe there's a bug somewhere (I put a post about it in the bug forums).

For some reason on a couple of my sites, for which I had no explanation, newly uploaded videos would go straight to featured. When looking at the videos through admin panel, where it says "featured?" the box said no, yet they are in the featured...so IDK. I think there's a bug somewhere in the featured video thing...but at any rate, you can fix it all through the admin panel. Just tell the video "no" to featured and pick something else and then come back and tell it "yes" if that's what you want featured.

After I put in the quotes in index.tpl, I uploaded a video and it didn't go to featured...I'm not entirely sure if the quotes are needed or not,or if that is what resolved my issue, but like you say...I figured if the rest of them have it, then this probably should too.

Default Featured videos in v2.6 not correct

Preamble: Most of the postings in the list are for v2.5 or older and describe featured videos as something that the admin can add by clicking a button. True, but time consuming. V2.6 seems to have a new feature that automatically picks 4 videos and features them as long as the admin does not have any videos selected manually. The code in index.tpl is {if $featured_total gt "0"} to check if admin has selected any.

I have four vshare sites on different hosts. Each is separately installed with one being an upgrade from v2.5. They all work the same in that the 4 videos are the same all the time and never change. Of course I can manually feature a video and the automatic 4 will go away. But if I was to remove my admin selection then the SAME 4 come back again!

ADMIN, is this a bug somewhere in the code? Should there be a line that selects a random 5 instead of the same 4 every time?

prowrestlingplus.com
    oldskoolmedia.net

V2.6 seems to have a new feature that automatically picks 4 videos and features them as long as the admin does not have any videos selected manually.
    Oh, good lord...no wonder! I thought I was losing my mind!

But if I was to remove my admin selection then the SAME 4 come back again!
    Could that be something you could change in the database?

Yes, it could likely be recoded to pull videos from the database- but it must be doing that already. However my expertise stops where I do acknowledge that there is a database out there with my info in it. Well, actually I did move a vshare database from one server to another and it worked. Beyond that, I am almost helpless.

I still think it is a bug and that there must be one line of code that needs a couple of characters modified. But which characters?
    Admin??

No, I mean go into the database and change the featured video that's in the table to something else.

Default Rollerv27 used as random video generator

I know its been a long time. But I think I have solved the problem of having the same 5 videos show up as featured. I am using v2.7.

Basically I modified the code for the rollerv27 and referenced it. And instead of a list of featured videos I have the roller with random videos. I set mine to pick 12 videos so that each time it rolls through the rotation the thumbnail positions change and it looks different. The roller is originally designed to show recent videos but the recent feature is already implemented in vshare.

The featured code is removed which is likely the way it is for most of your sites too.

It is kind of what I was after - just another way to put up teasers. The only thing that is missing is a longer description attached to each video, but that is only a minor inconvenience.